Author Topic: I am starting a program at CAMH  (Read 10742 times)

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
I am starting a program at CAMH
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:14:27 am »
In lieu of not  having a psychiatrist as of yet, I am starting a program with CAMH that involves 4 months of weekly group therapy and then 6 - 8 months of seeing someone once a month for follow up. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this program? They change my medication and I am going on Monday to see a Nurse, clinician and the psychiatrist who recommended me .... I am not sure what this will hold but I am hopeful that it will help me get through my depression. It seems my meds that the last psychiatrist has put me on makes me depressed most of the time. I can't remember the last time I had a good laugh. Nothing appeals to me and I am becoming a shut in ...

I hope this will help. Anyone heard of this or participated in this program?

Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks!
Soozan

Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: I am starting a program at CAMH
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:25 pm »
I hope this program will help you Soozan and also the new meds. Have never been in a group like that.

Dragonfly

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:16 am »
Thanks Dragonfly, I am going today to see what's what :)

- Soozan

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:24:33 pm »
Hello Soozan. This is a bit late, but I hope that you had good luck today. Take Care. paul m

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:03 pm »
Hi Paul! Thanks for your best wishes, sorry for not replying sooner, the last two weeks have been a flurry of appointments etc preparing me for the Thursday Group... it is a CBT group I have learned and will be a small group ... I hope it helps i have heard a lot of good things about cognitive therapy .... also my meds were changed to Latuda .... I took my first introductory dose today .... a lot of people say they have trouble the first 2 weeks on the stuff but for me ... so far so good :)

Anyway there is an update :) the group starts next thursday :) OH and we have also arranged to have my mother in law in the adult day program until 9pm that evening and all day, so I can attend the group  as well as have dinner with Rich downtown before going home.. with my mother in law having dementia, it is really hard for us to get out on our own .... so that is an added perk!

Take care!
Soozan

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:42:33 pm »
Hello Soozan. Keep us updated on how it goes. The course that is, not the dinner date with Rich LOL. Take Care. paul m

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 11:32:41 am »
I hope things work out for you. I don't know if your mother-in-law is living with you. Any which way it must be very difficult on you and Rich taking care of her.

Dragonfly

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 03:19:49 pm »
Hi Everyone, I know its been a while since I have posted, Started the program, got switched to Latuda from Abilify, still waiting to see if it makes a difference,

The CBT course I am taking was supposed to have 4 people in it which is a low number to begin with since it's group therapy, the first day t here was only 2 of us .... yesterday there was just me .... talk about the hot seat!

They keep referring to mood management, but being low all the time isn't exactly experiencing mania and deep depression, I guess I need to give it more time ... there is homework, filling out pages of various things ... I am doing my best to participate and do what is asked of me although right now I am seeing no point in all of it ... I guess that's because I am still down or flat....

I don't know how to get motivated and I am hoping between the new drugs and this, it will help me to get out of this funk and to participate in life more even though it's the last thing I want to do.

Time will tell