MDAO Forum

Support for People with Mood Disorders => General Discussion => Topic started by: Peace on September 05, 2015, 05:21:59 pm

Title: Need a Social Worker
Post by: Peace on September 05, 2015, 05:21:59 pm
Hi everyone,

I have agoraphobia,fibromyalgia, and arthritis. I will be in need of services to grocery shop, pick up prescriptions, help me attend doctor's appointments, etc. One organization I contacted suggested I get a social worker to help find which services could assist me.

Does anyone know of organizations (volunteer or government paid) that help with these tasks, and/or how I would go about getting a social worker?

Thank you!
Title: Re: Need a Social Worker
Post by: Dragonfly on September 06, 2015, 10:46:57 pm
Hi Peace,

I have had my groceries delivered to me many times by Longo's a grocery store. I order them on line. Of course, I don't know where you are located. This may not be possible for you. There is a charge of $10.00. That maybe too much for you. How about delivery of prescription drugs. I don't know if you are near a pharmacy.

About the social worker. Could you ask your minister or doctor about that?

Would the MDAO have any suggestions?

Just throwing out ideas.

Thinking of you.

Title: Re: Need a Social Worker
Post by: paulm on September 09, 2015, 01:38:23 am
Hello Peace. It can be confusing to find support services for people with mental illnesses as each area has it own favorite name. Some places call it Support for independent living , some call it family support case management, some call it case management or intensive case management. Plus there is CCAC. To cover each, I'll start with mental health service providers.

 There are a variety of places you can look, your local CMHA branch may help, you can call or use your computer to access 211 in your area( I find calling often works a bit better as they know how to do the searches) or you can go to the Ontario Social Workers website and look under FAQ's for their suggestions. 

 Depending on where you live, CMHA handles a lot of the demand for social workers that are publicly funded for people with mental health issues. However the waiting lists tend to be long and based on need and the free services may be based on the ability to pay.  While you can self refer, most placements go to those coming out of the hospital or who are in danger of being readmitted or who are long term low income (ODSP etc) and/or in danger of becoming homeless.

 To give you an example of what is available , go to CMHA Toronto web page on the subject  and then follow the links.  It will show you services offered, the general wait times and the type of questions that may be asked on a questionaire  . Each area is a little different, but CMHA Toronto has pretty much the same programs when it comes to mental health issues as anyone else in the province when it comes to mental health issues and support.

 The other possibility is CCAC (Community Care Access Centres) . You can call 310-2222  without an area code and you will be put through to your nearest centre. They provide a wide range of services for both mental and physical problems, to find out more you can use the Toronto one as an example, once again services are pretty much the same across Ontario. 

 You can also try the MDAO support line and they may be able to tell you a bit more about answers to your question Telephone Support Line:1-866-363-MOOD (6663). Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

 Each area of the province is different and in some areas wait times may be shorter and the availability of services extended to more people than in my area, all you can do is contact them and ask. Take Care. paul m
Title: Re: Need a Social Worker
Post by: Peace on September 25, 2015, 08:59:34 am

So far, nothing, after numerous phone calls and emails. I'm really, really scared about how I'm going to eat.

Longos was an awesome idea and I loved it because it would leave me with a sense that I'm not a burden. I don't mind the $10 delivery charge at all. I will be on a limited income, and upon looking at their website, their prices are 3 times as much as I would spend by going to the grocery store we currently use. It's just not financially feasible.

I've made countless phone calls and sent countless emails, and I'm no further ahead, just more scared now about how I'll manage.

The reply from my minister was rather degrading and made me feel awful about myself for contacting her. After suppressing my hurt over the insensitive comments for many years, I finally sent her an email this morning. She is a paid minister and in a position to educate people on how to treat someone already in a vulnerable position, which is why I finally for once vocalized my feelings and thoughts.

Just venting since I just received her reply yesterday and just finished sending my reply to her.

There is something very flawed and wrong with our system.

Thank you for listening
Title: Re: Need a Social Worker
Post by: paulm on September 27, 2015, 11:42:18 pm
Hello Peace. I can understand your frustrations. The system is seriously flawed. Take Care. paul m