Author Topic: Online Support Groups  (Read 27142 times)

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
Online Support Groups
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:46:32 am »
Hi everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online support group. I've looked into a few, but decided to read independent reviews before joining. So far I've read about a lot of cyber bullying and inability to remove your account once you joined.

Much appreciated, and hoping everyone is hanging in there.

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: Online Support Groups
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:27:50 am »
Besides here, I'm also on http://www.moodgarden.org/.  It's very big...you can post pictures...there's even a Mature/I.M. Mature section, but you need one time permission to go there, otherwise it won't show on your index.

I'm also on http://algy.com/anxiety/wordpress/.  For anxiety, mainly.  Also big.  You have to type in something else to get the forums....I forget what exactly.

I sometimes look at http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage.  About meds, with a sense of humour.

So far I've read about a lot of cyber bullying and inability to remove your account once you joined.

I've never noticed either.  I assume you meant mood support groups.

Peter

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:56:32 am »
Thanks Peter! I took a look at Mood Garden and it looks interesting. My google search for reviews didn't find anything for them, so I'm taking that as a positive about the site.

As for the cyber bullying, there was one group I found through google search that dealt with grief, health issues and mental health. I really liked was I saw on the website. I don't want to name them since I'm not saying positive things abouth them. Instead of blindly joining I did a search for reviews of the group and read about a lot of cyber bullying within the group.

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:13:54 am »
Hi again everyone,

The truth of the matter is that I'm extremely lonely, but I was too embarrassed to say so. It's extremely hard for me to leave my home. I'm not trying to get sympathy from anyone, what I'm asking for is suggestions as to how I can alleviate some of my loneliness. There's only a few people that I'm comfortable with and can socialize with. Sadly, I've practically begged different people to go for walks with me, and nothing is working out. I'm tired of asking, it's rather demeaning.

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed!

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:53:36 pm »
Hi Peace, Don't apologize for posting that you are lonely. You shouldn't be embarrassed.

I happened upon the website www.connexontario.ca. I thought it may be of interest to you. I would say it is supported by MDAO. There is a helpline. You can also ask for help in finding support for your mental issues in your area. It says you don't have to provide a name.
I have never used any of the services provided by this website.
I am seriously going to keep it in mind. Have saved it under my favorites.
 I don't know why. My loneliness and sadness usually strikes when there is no one around to support me. Especially at night. Sometimes on weekends.

I hope this may help you.

Thinking of you.

Dragonfly

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:22:57 am »
Hi peace! There are loads of support groups on Facebook if u are on it, like bipolars supporting bipolars. I am on there and have found it very helpful, it has alleviated my feeling alone in this fight. Don't be ashamed we all feel lonely at times. It's especially true for me at this time of year so I can relate. Reaching out is a good first step! We are all here for u!
Love is the reason!

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 03:58:26 am »
The truth of the matter is that I'm extremely lonely, but I was too embarrassed to say so
Big deal!....same with "seeking sympathy."

Peace, are you in a rural area, small town, city?  I'll try to think up some suggestions....

take care......Peter

The people you ask to go on walks.....they're busy, or too busy?

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 09:06:29 am »
Thanks everyone for making me feel better about what I'm ashamed of :) I was trying to find out if there were any good, safe chat lines to talk to people in an effort to help with my loneliness and I was ashamed of myself for needing one.  :-[

My social worker, who I don't have anymore, gave me one and I've been using it the last couple of days. There's a stream of chat and you can talk personally to people. I'm really anxious about the whole thing, and someone came in the room trying to hit on people this morning. I need to be careful about what type of information I give out. My anxiety has been triggered from what happened this morning.

Peter, I'm in a highly populated area that doesn't have a lot of resources.

I can walk with my sister, but she lives too far away. I'm having difficulty coordinating my walk time with a friend up the street. Another friend said she doesn't have a 2nd vehicle (she's a 5 minute drive from me), but doesn't make an effort on weekends when she has a vehicle. My friend I'm really comfortable with needs to walk with other people as well as me for some reason. We were walking a lot a couple of summers ago and another friend of hers came along. That friend, whose son goes to school with my daughter, told her son she doesn't like me. A huge blow to my self-esteem.

The friend was here for a visit last week and I told her I needed to walk again. I thought I set it up with her to call me and walk over this way. She said she didn't mind at all. I haven't heard from her. I called and left a message, and she didn't call me back. There's been other people I've asked as well, and either nothing has come of it, or we've walked for a while then not again after that.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »
Peace I would walk with you. I don't think we live near each other though.

Dragonfly

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:58:39 am »
It would be perfect, Dragonfly.  :) You're right, though, I don't think we live close enough.

DeterminedJay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 03:50:06 am »
Hey Peace!

Just wanted to let you know that you are never alone, despite what your mind may be telling you. No I am not going to go into a higher power rant, I just know from personal experience that the best way to truly feel content with being alone is to learn to love yourself. I have been researching and progressing my mind on such matters since last year and have made great progress in my loneliness and depression.

If you would ever like to talk, about anything, just PM me or start a group chat on your current mood with any questions and anyone on this site would be glad to join the discussion. This is a place of healing, despite what people say about talking to people online. Knowing that people care and having a support system whether it is with peoples minds through writing, or in person - it is such a powerful thing.

Welcome to the forum fellow homo sapien!

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 02:23:41 am »
Peace, sorry I didn't get back to you....still thinking, and I had some obstacles lately.

Peter

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 08:51:21 am »
Thanks, DeterminedJay. Appreciate the offer :)

It's okay, Peter. I hope you're doing well and the obstacles aren't overwhelming. I've actually gotten more comfortable on the chat line my social worker gave me, and I've connected with different people. I just need to ignore the ones that don't have good intentions.

I walked 3 out of the last 5 days and am quite proud of myself for that.  :)

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:10:43 pm »
Hello  Peace. Good for you for getting out 3 days out of 5. It can be tough to go outside. Keep working at it and don't get discouraged if you   have weeks where you don't do as well as other weeks. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 05:46:03 am »
That's awesome peace!
Love is the reason!