Author Topic: flu shot  (Read 7769 times)

Dragonfly

• View Profile
flu shot
« on: December 23, 2014, 03:45:47 pm »
Hi everyone,

I can't seem to decide whether or not to have a flu shot. The health professionals say I should since I have a number of health issues. I am a senior.
I lean towards not having one.
Right now I am sick. I have a cold (dry throat and cough). Also have stomach flu. Frequent trips to bathroom. My head feels fuzzy and I am lethargic. I realize that when you are sick you cannnot have a flu shot.
Some people say that a lot of times the vaccine that the pharmaceutical companies come out with do not address the type of flus that are going around. The flu bug becomes stronger and fights harder against the vaccines.
I don't know if I am making sense.
I have only had a flu shot once. My doctor pushed me into it. Didn't seem to have any side effects.
Anyone have views on whether to get a flu shot. People for and against.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: flu shot
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:41:40 pm »
Hello Dragonfly. I can't advise you whether or not to get a flu shot, but I can give you some facts. First what we call the stomach flu , really isn't what the flu shot is for. Flu shot actually stands for influenza shot. That shot only protects you from certain influenza viruses and does not protect you from having the stomach flu and/or a cold.  To quote from wikipedia.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Influenza, commonly known as "the flu", is an infectious disease caused by the influenza virus. Symptoms can be mild to severe. The most common symptoms include: a high fever, runny nose, sore throat, muscle pains, headache, coughing, and feeling tired. These symptoms typically begin two days after exposure to the virus and most last less than a week. The cough; however, may last for more than two weeks. In children there may be nausea and vomiting but these are not common in adults.

Nausea and vomiting occur more commonly in the unrelated infection gastroenteritis, which is sometimes inaccurately referred to as "stomach flu" or "24-hour flu". Complications of influenza may include viral pneumonia, secondary bacterial pneumonia, sinus infections, and worsening of previous health problems such as asthma or heart failure."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Also in the same article  "It can be difficult to distinguish between the common cold and influenza in the early stages of these infections, but a flu can be identified by a high fever with a sudden onset and extreme fatigue. Influenza is a mixture of symptoms of common cold and pneumonia, body ache, headache, and fatigue. Diarrhea is not normally a symptom of influenza in adults"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 For more info:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza 

The vaccines that the drug companies put out address influenza and not stomach flu as we know it. The most common complications from influenza that leads to hospitalization and even death is pneumonia and/or dehydration and/or a high fever.

One reason why doctors advise that older people or people who have breathing problems, diabetes etc to get the shot is due to the pneumonia factor. But there are many other factors as well.

So I'm sorry that I can't say whether to get a shot or not.  However you should really watch the symptoms that you have especially if  have a high temperature and/or you are putting out more fluids than you are taking in and/or your cough worsens or persists or any of your symptoms worsens or lasts. Whether you have influenza or stomach flu and a cold, at our age you have to be careful as something simple can overtake us in a hurry.

I try and get a shot every yr as it seems to do me no harm. I've had a bad bout of influenza and I have no wish to repeat the experience.   I hope that you feel better soon. Take Care. paul m
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:43:50 pm by paulm »

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: flu shot
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:03 pm »
Sorry Paul that I have been so late in my reply. Thank you for the info. It helps to make up my mind about the flu shot.

Dragonfly