Author Topic: Praise for a Social Organization  (Read 7866 times)

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
Praise for a Social Organization
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:47 am »
I've been in the mental health system for over 30 years. I've attended different groups and organizations. It's been hard trying to find the right fit and I've left every group or organization except for one for one reason or another.

The local social organization I still belong to has been a saviour for me. I don't want to say their name because I don't want to reveal where I live, but I wanted to share the wonderful experiences I've had recently.

I phoned the organization last year for help with attending activities at the same time as my doctors appointment so I didn't have to leave my home too many times a month (Agoraphobia). The person I spoke with helped me find the right activities for me. Recently my mental health has declined and I spoke to the same person a few weeks ago. We have to see him at the end of the activity for something and I told him I'm having a hard time being out for so long at a time. He told me I could leave the activity part way through if I wanted and arranged for me to see him at the beginning of the activity instead of at the end.

My doctor changed my appointment last minute on me and I had to go to the activity last night and to see him today, which I'm struggling with. His regular secretary is off on leave and his fill in secretary made it very difficult to book the appointment I usually have for future months. I made an appointment for a day there's no activity. I spoke to the gentleman at the social organization last night for January's activities and he actually booked an activity that he would lead, even though he's very busy, on the day of my doctors appointment. When I was sitting at the table with the group planning the activities and he planned it for that date I almost cried at the kindness he's shown me.

Kudos to this particular organization, to the social worker there for all he has done, and to the mental health workers who really care and make a difference.  :)

CanadianEm

• View Profile
Re: Praise for a Social Organization
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 05:21:58 pm »
Peace I am so glad that you found such a wonderful organization. It makes the biggest difference in someones life when they show you that little bit of kindness especially when we are dealing with these personal issues.

I am afraid to join any organization because I don't want people to see my true colours. I always feel like I am going to be judged so hard, that they would like look at me and be like why are you, you don't have anything wrong, your just wasting our time. That's why for years I never did anything, not even one on one counseling. It wasn't until I literally had a breakdown and I took the initiative to at least start one on one counseling. Slowly I will try joining organizations...but i will be honest, I am deeply scared.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:29:59 pm »
Hello Peace. Thx for sharing your story with us. Take Care. paul m

Hello CanadianEm. Groups and couselling vary and what is a perfect for one person, the next person may not like. However it is a very bad group that judges people and they are rare. More often they may run out of space and have to limit your sessions or some groups can be kind of clickish. However it doesn't usually cost anything to try and if you don't like it, then move on the next one. Take Care. paul m

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:52:43 pm »
Nice to hear!  Good luck!

Peter

C em......I also think judging would be very rare.

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 02:24:19 am »
Hi, Em.....Maybe you could go to the first group or so with someone else?

Btw, MDAO groups, they ask at the beginning if you want to talk or not.....so you don't necessarily have to say anything.

You're making progress as you're now on an online support forum!   :)

Peter