Author Topic: Anybody 50+ with BPD?  (Read 11637 times)

WRW1955

• View Profile
Anybody 50+ with BPD?
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:50:48 am »
Hoping to find more people my age group, 50-65, who have struggled with BPD depression.  Most sites seem geared to younger people, maybe because they are more tech savvy.  I am new to this forum, a professional, living in the "Near North".  Recently lost my job, my dog, and my car is having trouble.  Sounds like a country and western song.  Christmas blues and SAD approaching.  On the bright side, I recently got married to my same-sex partner of 27 years, have a roof over my head, food in the house, and some job prospects on the horizon.  Why am I still so depressed? :-\

Rich

• View Profile
Re: Anybody 50+ with BPD?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:42:25 pm »
Hi WRW1955,
welcome aboard!

Does BPD stand for "Bipolar Disorder" (which type?  I or II) or "Borderline Personality Disorder"?

I have bipolar II, and my mood is usually pretty good, although not nearly as good as when I rarely go hypomanic a bit!  :-)

To counter depression I try to go on an overnight trip or weekend trip (depending on cash flow).  It really is nice to escape all of he day-to-day problems for even a day!

Rich

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:42 am »
Hi and welcome! Im not over 50 but pretty darn close! I find that walking deep breathing exercises and long baths help me when im depressed or anxious. Sounds like you have had some stressors over the last little while and anyone would be depressed! I think its normal just worse for us with BPD! Congrats on getting married! I havent married my same sex partner yet but hope to do so one day! Anyway i think you will find that this is a safe place to vent and get support we are all non judgemental here!
Love is the reason!

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:02:53 pm »
Hi WRW1955 and welcome,

In a month I will be 64. I suffer from bipolar II.

I am sorry that you are struggling with a number of different issues. That certainly doesn't help.

It is great that you married your partner and will have support from them.

This forum is caring, supportive and non-judgemental. Post as often as you like. It has helped me a great deal. What you have to say is important too. It helps us.

Dragonfly

WRW1955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:26:37 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I have both forms of BPD--Bipolar Disorder (Hypomania) and Borderline Personality Disorder.  Trying to keep busy, some of these tips are helpful.  Just knowing there are others going through this helps.   :(

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:21:24 pm »
Hello WRW1955 and welcome to the forum. Why are you still so depressed, good question and if I was like one of those TV shrinks I'd ask you a couple of questions and have you all fixed up in no time(plus I'd be rich LOL).

Unfortunately depression can strike us whether we shouldn't have a care in the world or not. I have bipolar as well and I struggled for a long time with the depression side of it, long after the major manic episodes had ended.

One thing to do is get a very complete physical. I can almost guarantee that even if you have had a recent physical that your doctor didn't ck for a lot of things that can contribute to/or make depression worse.  Problems with any number of glands(thyroid, adrenal etc), lack of the bodies ability to properly digest a variety of vitamins and many physical illnesses can cause increased depression. Wikipedia has a not bad primer on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_(differential_diagnoses)   

As we age we get struck with more and more of these problems and for some reason they are often not linked to increased depression.

You may also be taking a medication that has worked faithful for years and has suddenly stopped working for reasons unknown. They even have a name for it now, SSRI poop out (seriously and it's not limited to SSRI's) The Mayo clinic has article on why depression may worsen and even they refer to medications quitting working as poop out. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/antidepressants/faq-20057938  of course the medical establishment has a correct name for this type of occurance (tachyphylaxis), but I can't pronounce that. More studies are showing that this poop out effect is happening more frequently than realized.

Even something like sleep apenea can cause depression. Plus I haven't started on exercise, diet or sleep habits, all of which may affect our depression. I can't speak for anyone else, but I find that as I get older it's harder to exercise, sleep well and eat properly, not that I was ever an expert on any of those things LOL. Good luck with your job hunting and keeping your car running. Take Care. paul m