Family, Friends, and Supporters > Family, Friends, and Supporters

14 year old with social anxiety

(1/2) > >>

zabava:
Hi there,

I am the parent of a daughter with social anxiety.  She is currently attending school for only one period a day and not making much progress.  She is taking Cipralex 10 mg, but refuses therapy.  I'd love to her from anybody in the same situation.  I'm feeling a bit hopeless at the moment.  Not sure how she will get through high school.

Thanks.

Peace:
Hi Zabava and welcome  :) You posted in the correct section, but will find that you will receive more replies if you post in the General Discussion section.

I personally had severe social anxiety during high school when my parents moved cities. I lived in 15 to 20 different places and attended 5 different high schools. My parents helped me to the best of their ability. I left school during Grade 10 due to my anxiety. During that period my father made suggestions to me to find friends. To make my father happy and to stop  him from talking to me about it, I found the wrong friends. The following year I returned to Grade 10 and made two very good friends and did very well until we moved again to a different city.

Basically what I'm saying is that eventually despite my anxiety and the situation I was in, I did complete high school and I'm very proud of myself for that. I hope that gives you some encouragement.

The best advice I can give from my experience is to provide your daughter with encouragement and unconditional love. It was very difficult for me to not have any friends and to feel like my father was not happy with me.

Good luck!

zabava:
Thanks for the advice and insight.  And thanks for the posting tip.

Daniel F:
Hey zabava,

It's always hard to see a loved one suffering, and I would imagine it's especially hard to be a parent watching your daughter going through social anxiety and struggling at school. Perhaps one of the best things you can do is to "hold hope" for your daughter in that she can get through this difficult time. Can I ask what city you're located in to see if I can find you some resources/support?

-Daniel

zabava:
Hi Daniel,

Yes, staying optimistic is one of the hardest things.  I am Toronto.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version