Support for People with Mood Disorders > Depression and Bipolar

What's in our feel better Tool Belt?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Rich:
Hi!
Here are the things in my feel better took belt:

- Reading - I bought an e-reader after a couple of months of hell (RE:  Mom in hospital;  unexpected expenses).  I just downloaded by 6th e-book from the Toronto Public Library FOR *FREE*!  I find that reading on the bus and subway keeps my mind from thinking too many thoughts.

- Sugary treats

- Naps

Rich

Dragonfly:
Hi Rich,

Often thought about getting an e-reader. Love to read a lot. Do you find it better than a hard cover or paper back book. What if you want to go to the beach and read? Could it get damaged by sand and water? Great that you can download  free from the libary. I suppose from the internet you have to pay. Is that right or can you find places where it is free?
Dragonfly :-*

Soozan:
Hi Everyone, my toolbelt is looking a bit sparce these days but I do like to work on the computer to keep my mind active and off of my disabilities. Luckily I have made a great contact with positive fun people who appreciate my talents and I enjoy working with them. The money is not great, but I get a lot of satisfaction in upgrading my skills and having the human interaction of meeting with them every day. I am a bit of a workaholic, so I have to rely on Rich to pry me away from the computer, but other than that, I tend to spend my time conquering a computer free fall game called Maleficent.

OH and of course there is the household chores of cooking dinner and laundry for a household, the fun never stops!

Compared to other's posts here, it makes me think that Maybe I need to get a life, Ya think?

When I was at my worst, I relied on making sure I took my medications and going after every source of free help I could get, caseworkers, socialworkers for counselling, progress place to keep me busy and active and out of the house.
I highly recommend keeping busy when you need coping skills, those were mine.

- Soozan

Rich:
Hi Dragonfly,
I like e-readers better than paper-based books for the following reasons:

1)  I don't like germs, so I don't like library or used books
2)  I like my money, so I don't like to buy books that I'm only going to read once  :-)
3)  I'm not near a beach :-)
3)  I like to be able to download a book to my e-reader via the Toronto Public Library website for *FREE* and from the comfort of my own home, so then I don't have to fit in a visit to the library into my busy schedule.  All you need is:

- a library card (you will have to go in person to get one, I think?)
- an e-reader --- I've got a Kobo Arc 7 which cost about $180 incl. taxes...I like this one because I can connect it directly (and wirelessly) to my home network, as opposed to downloading and saving e-books to my PC first (from the library website), and then copying them to the e-reader via a cable...yes, I am lazy and spoiled!  (Soozan bought it for me!)
- you are right, you may not need your own internet, since yes, you may be able to use coffee shop wifi?

Hope this helps!  I'm still new to this e-reader / e-book thing!

Rich

Dragonfly:
Thanks Rich for replying,

My youngest daughter goes to the library a lot. You can take out e-readers. She said she would get me one to try out. Thanks for the info.

Dragonfly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version