Author Topic: W5 tonight "suicide watch"  (Read 10714 times)

JennyRN70

• View Profile
W5 tonight "suicide watch"
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:29:35 pm »
people who have killed themselves when in hospital :(

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: W5 tonight "suicide watch"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »
Hello JennyRN70. It should not happen, but it does and it's exceptional hard on everyone from those left behind who thought their loved one was safe to the staff who perhaps only slipped up for a few minutes in an otherwise stellar career.(for some reasons the doctors never get blamed).

Not to make light of the problem but there have been times when I considered a prolonged stay in a certain hospital a fate almost worse than death. Take Care. paul m

NeitherHereNorThere

• ...don't let me get me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 07:43:03 am »
Hi JennyRN70 and paulm.  I watched this last night and am not surprised.  Are the mental health professionals not ashamed for hiding the facts?

Last October, I was hospitalized at Trillium (Mississauga) and it was a horrendous experience.  I was given a hefty dosage of "new" medications and thought I was going to have a stroke.  I am a smoker, so every hour we were allowed to get our smokes and go out of the locked wing (unsupervised).  Yes, I was admitted for suicidal related reasons.  The nurses were as cold as ice and as I was there for help, it made me feel like this is the beginning of the end.  On the morning that I was discharged, they all but said "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on my way out".

Heaven forbid that we express our concerns to our doctors or workers.  They all stick together.  Time and time again, the feedback that I get is that you either do things their way or you're deemed uncooperative.  After all, they are there to help you and when you "resist" (so they think) then you "really" don't want any help.  Pft.

Unfortunately, this is just a job to most people in the mental health sector.  Thank God for this website!

p.s.  Trillium (Mississauga) on the Queensway - Mental Health Unit needs an attitude adjustment.
If you can't handle it when I'm at my worst, then you don't deserve me when I'm at my best.

JennyRN70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:07:26 pm »
I hated being in hospital too - the staff keep you at arms length - there was only one nurse who took the time to have a conversation with me in the 72 hours I was there - it was like jail - I couldn't wait to get out - no outside access to the internet anything - no activities except to stare at the walls or go to the group room where you had to watch whatever other people were watching - ughhh - anyway - that was my experience - I just felt it was an interesting show for all of us to watch.

NeitherHereNorThere

• ...don't let me get me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:33:53 am »
Hi all.

If anyone missed the show and would like to read up on the subject, here's the link
 http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/w5-uncovers-300-suicide-deaths-by-patients-in-canadian-hospitals-1.2038520

I hope the link works....  If I didn't copy and past it properly, you can just go to the W5 website and choose the 300 Suicide Deaths....

Although it's very sad, I am glad that this came out in the open.  I myself felt absolutely worthless, thinking that these people are "paid" to help me and even they don't care.  These thoughts were/are toxic.  Right or wrong, I can't dwell on it and need to focus on the positives in life.
If you can't handle it when I'm at my worst, then you don't deserve me when I'm at my best.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 09:25:20 pm »
Hi everyone,

I too hated it when I was hospitalized for suicidal thoughts.There was nothing there to motivate you. I did not watch the program.
If you went for a weekend away some nurses would check your bags for instruments or other things that could harm myself or someone else and others wouldn't.

I was furious at a psychologist in one hospital. He asked me for a meeting with him. He did it in a very rude way. He put words in my mouth. He said other things that weren't called for. I said it was not acceptable. I ranted and raved about him in the hallway. A nurse came to calm me down. She said I would probably meet with him later. I said no way. I stayed out of his way. Another patient came up to me and said to me he got to you to, eh. The psychologist locked him up in isolation when he didn't cooperate. I was afraid that he might do the same to me. What would my word be against his.

I must admit I had some very good nurses in the hopitals I was in. They really cared.

I can see where some people would be able to commit suicide in a hospital.

One hospital I was in had the doors to the ward wide open most of the day. Anyone suicidal could easily walk out and do themselves harm.

I always had the impression that the patients were drugged so they wouldn't cause trouble. That was probably paranoia on my part.

Dragonfly