Author Topic: Feeling Uncomfortable  (Read 11056 times)

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
Feeling Uncomfortable
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:54:13 am »
The spam we've been receiving lately has been bothering me so I took a look at the members list. There are a number of members with capital letters and numbers. I personally am not feeling comfortable at all with posting because of this. I didn't feel this way on the other forum.

I was wondering how everyone else feels.

HSG

• View Profile
Re: Feeling Uncomfortable
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:34:50 pm »
Hi Peace, I am an old member of the previous forum, but very infrequent poster - I would say ignore the spam, its sometimes an inevitability in todays world. In fact, I'm surprised the previous forum wasn't more dogged with the typical spam that comes - it may be that this forum allows internet links, which allows these people to put links up to do whatever it is that does - boost link tos or some google thing.  But in any case, it may have to be something we will have to deal with on some level - one can put up barriers to these sorts of things being put up, but then that may discourage others from posting, and I'd rather err on the side of inclusiveness in a forum such as this than risk discouraging those who may be shy or have trouble posting in the first place.  I'd say just ignore it completely, or as Peter did, make light of the fact they are usually just copy-and-pasted nonsense.

Anyhow, that's my .02.  Sorry to hear that it made you uncomfortable.  I'm sure there may be some way of removing the posts, if there is an administrator who can do so.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:17 pm »
I agree with you Peace. I don't like this spam either.

I have reported this to Paul before.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:23:02 am »
Hello Everybody. Spam is always a major pain in the butt for any forum. If we make it too hard to register, then nobody signs up. If we make it too easy, then you get tons of spam. I know that Daniel and company(MDAO) are working on coming up with a happy balance.

I remove spam as fast as I see it and ban the user and I'm in the process of clearing out some of what appear to be spammers who have signed up, but who haven't posted anything yet.  However it is a slow process because we never want to block anyone who may be in need of help, but who decided to use a name that looks a bit odd. Take Care. paul m

Daniel F

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:50:00 am »
Hey everyone,

Please see this new announcement addressing this issue:

https://mooddisorders.ca/forum/index.php?topic=53.0

Hopefully this will help.

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 01:19:21 am »
I've seen very little spam on here, and I've been on here a while.

Peter

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 01:31:01 pm »

I don't get people. You are using an alias and are worried someone is REALLY going to care who you are ???????????????

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »
Hello Paul. There are many reasons why people are uncomfortable with spam. Some of it can be very real looking and ask you to click on a link. I myself post many links and people click on them all of the time.

However if some one clicks on a spammers link a virus could invade your computer. That virus could damage your computer and/or milk it for personal information. It could also cause your computer to send out emails or send out spam on it's own. Those are the primary reason why any reputable place tries to control spam. Take Care. paul m

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 01:42:39 pm »

WOW ! People need to educate them selves a little about computers the net etc. etc. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to access your computer with out your consent ????

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:20 am »
Hello Paul. It's not very difficult at all for a virus to invade your computer, especially if you hit on a link. Take Care. Paul M