Author Topic: Any summer plans?  (Read 7470 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
Any summer plans?
« on: June 18, 2022, 07:36:43 am »
I was going to go to Germany for the first times since I was 3!.....in the next few weeks.

I speak German (never spoke English to parents=they spoke lousy Englishl

I haven't spoken German in 20 years - no parents to speak with.  I'm 75 (years young)  I would explain this to people, which would open doors to further conversation with strangers.  They may be surprised I speak (rusty) German after all these years.

I hope to stay in a hotel for a few days, if they'll have me....partly because I'll feel like "I'm bargng in on them", since we're barely in touch, except for the odd email.

Peter

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: Any summer plans?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 02:17:35 am »
I changed my mind - instead of visiting cousin and then Hamburg, I'm going to Munich.

Cousin and Hamburg is too confusing.

Also, I chose Munich because it's kind of "exotic" - food, accent - probably hard to decipher!

Peter

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: Any summer plans?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 10:54:38 am »
Didn't go to Munich...hard to explain why.

I went to St. John's, Nfld.  Nice place, but small.  Nice scenery around the city.

One negative thing - my hotel was far from downtown, where the action is.

Re thick, hard to understand accents - I only met one person like that, but a lot of people had trouble understanding meee!

Highlight of my trip:  I was walking down the street, lugging heavy shopping bags.  A middle aged woman (a stranger) pulled over ahead of me, offered me a ride to my hotel!  How heart warming.  That would NEVER happen in Toronto...not sure about the rest of Ontario.

Peter