Author Topic: Lamictal and Abilify for Bipolar 2?  (Read 41848 times)

JennyRN70

• View Profile
Lamictal and Abilify for Bipolar 2?
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:15:21 pm »
Just wondering if anyone is on this combo - thinking I may ask for this from the Pdoc when I see him on the 24th - ughhh so not looking forward to all of this changing of meds!

paul

• View Profile
Re: Lamictal and Abilify for Bipolar 2?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:21:24 pm »

I did the Abilify for Depression. I stopped and an unable to recall why ? One of the MANY meds. that I have gone through. I did not work for me or something else ...........

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:13:23 am »
Hello Jen, I know of some people who have had good luck with this, but for me taking lamictal was like eating smarties. No benefit, just a little weight gain LOL. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m

JennyRN70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:45:20 am »
Yeah don't need the weight gain that's for sure - I wonder then if Lithium and ability might be better - I have to stop the valproate because of tremors - ugh this is going to suck (wait I have to think positive as negative thinking is bad for me) this will be great - LOL

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:13:15 am »
Hi JennyRN70,

I have taken lamictal for quite some years and it has helped me a great deal. I have never taken abilify.

My kidney function is now 30% because of lithium and diabetes. Of course I have been on lithium for around 30 years. They are weening me off of it slowly -started 30 years ago on 1500 mg. and now down to 300mg. The thinking now is that you don't need such a high dosage of lithium to make it effective thus less of an effect on the kidneys. (lithium does not effect everyone's kidneys).  So far I am doing fine with my moods since going lower in dosage. The pdoc believes that the lamictal is enough to allow this reduction in lithium and I believe him. When I started lithium lamictal was not around. I am not a doctor. What I have written may not work for you.
(am on a cocktail of drugs for my bi-polar II mental illness & been stable for quite a few years) I hope I haven't been too wordy.

Dragonfly  :-*

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:38:50 pm »

I take something for the shakes and it is REALLY good. I have had the shaky hands for as long as I can recall. The meds  REALLY work. I just wish I had known about them a few years ago. I will have to find out what they are called.

JennyRN70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 04:42:39 pm »
thanks Paul and Dragonfly - Dragonfly that is what my cousin is also dealing with - she had been on Lithium for a long time too and now she is in kidney failure.  I guess we will see what happens in a couple of weeks

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »
HI Jenny, I am taking lamactil 300 mg and 20 mg abilify . I had to be worked up slowly on lamactil .... it helped me with depression which I know is common with bipolar 2 .. even though I am bipolar 1 since being on meds I have had a lot of depression so it helps.

I do quite well on these meds. I haven't had any problem with them so far.

Hope this helps.

- Soozan
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:03:31 pm »
I suffer from bipolar II. I suffer mostly sometimes from severe depression. Lithium and lamictal have helped a lot. Also some mania.

Paul I take 10 mg. of propranolol and it helps a lot for the shakes.  Without it I could hardly write my name. I can't remember exactly how long I have been taking it. It has been a few years though.

Dragonfly  :)

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 05:55:15 am »
I m not on lamactil but i am on abilify and its been a life saver for me. I am more stable now than i have ever been. No more paranoia and my depression has lifted as well 
Love is the reason!