Author Topic: Donations to charities  (Read 16188 times)

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Donations to charities
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:55:05 am »
I saw somewhere a list of the charities that people can donate to. Probably the most common ones (whatever that means). There are many many charities.
It listed how much went to administration and how much went to research. I believe cancer was half and half. Does anyone have the list.
It is tough to figure out which one to donate too. You can donate to more than one. Cancer, mental illness, diabetes and heart disease has touched my life.
Another one I think about is the humane society for animals. The homeless people. Single mothers with children. How do you choose.
My mother always said to my Dad instead of donating to so many charities why don't you give the money to our kids. I think the same way up to a point as my Mom.

Just some thoughts!

Dragonfly

paul

• View Profile
Re: Donations to charities
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:25:32 pm »

Charities are meant for the rich as a tax right off and nothing more . Any money that goes into the charity is just to pay some CEO a million dollar plus bonus.

I remember VERY clearly 1980 Jan 1st there was a huge earthquake that devastated a small island. I remember going with my father to a drop off center to donate caned food etc.

A year or so later we found out that the people got NOTHING and saw NOTHING ! It was all picked though well before it got to the people that actually needed it.

That is CHARITY !!!!

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:02:49 am »
Charities are meant for the rich as a tax right off and nothing more . Any money that goes into the charity is just to pay some CEO a million dollar plus bonus.

A little harsh?  You can probably see their salaries on the net.

BTW, Value Village stores donate SOME of their profits to charities. (contrary to public opinion)  I emailed them to ask why no mental health charities on their list, and they said mental health issues people would be indirectly getting some of the profits - I forget the exact phrase they used.

I used to work at Queen's Park.  People there who earn over $100,000 have their names, salaries and titles published for all to see (by law?).  Anyway, lots of surprises, like police constables (lotsa overtime?), tradespeople (lotsa overtime?).

Peter

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:10:01 am »
Hello Dragonfly. The website that you want is ran by the Gov't.  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html   You can either enter the charities name or do an advanced search and enter the charities, chartitable # .

It is usually easier if you have the number. When doing a name search you have to be pretty exact with the name or nothing will come up.  Take Care. paul m

Hello Paul. I'm chair of three different charities and I get the same amount from all three "zero" I also know that the Mood Disorder Association of Ontario (the provider of this forum) pays it's Chair the exactly the same amount. zero.  I'm not sure what the executive director gets, but it's not a million bucks, it's not even 100,000

I agree that there are some disreputable charities out there, but your blanket statement of

"Charities are meant for the rich as a tax right off and nothing more . Any money that goes into the charity is just to pay some CEO a million dollar plus bonus."

is not even close to being right.   To start with, if someone with a large income gives a $1000 to a charity the most they can get back is approx $470 in tax savings which still leaves them $530 out of pocket. For a while there were some schemes where a disreputable charity would offer enormous credit for gifts in kind (donate a $10 bottle of asprin, get a$100 tax receipt etc) but the gov't has shut most of those down.

I'm sure that there are a few charities CEO's who get big bucks, but they are in the minority and it's easy to see where the money goes as each charity must list the salary of their top ten paid employees as well a full breakdown of revenue and expenses in their report to Rev Cda.  Just use the Gov't link that I provided Dragonfly. Or use the sunshine list as provided below. Take Care. paul m

Hello Peter. That list is popularly called the sunshine list. I'll make a small addition to your statement.  "The act requires organizations that receive public funding from the Province of Ontario to disclose annually the names, positions, salaries and total taxable benefits of employees paid $100,000 or more in a calendar year." Take Care. paul m

Hello Everyone. The list does include charities who have rec'd money from the provincial Gov't. You can also search for organizations who have rec'd public sector funding, but who have no one getting paid over $100,000.  (the MDAO appears on this list)

To do a list search go to http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/pssd/   and scroll down the page till you come to the category that you want.  Take Care. paul m

momfellinglost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:17:51 am »
You do need to  check out who you are giving to. There are two kind of charities not for profit (they can't give tax receipts) and the kind that can. Often times it is the tax rules that are very strict in how a charity operates. Their tax returns are open for public eyes. Just because some group says they are not for profit doesn't make it so. Giving can change a life be that human or animal and there are ways to give without one cent leaving your pocket. Give your time, give a good. This year I added to my large garden one row of every veg that I grow for a local soup kitchen. They were very happy to take my produce (which I always seem to have too much of at some point) I got a tax receipt for my effort(something that I would have done any way) and those who needed a hot meal got the benifit of my organic veg. I don't have a lot of extra money but I could give a little time in my garden to help to someone else. There are community gardens who are always looking for help in the harvest of veg for food banks and soup kitchens as well.
 I give my time and a little gas money to a not for profit that transports rescue dogs of a certain breed (there are many of them) they don't pay anyone and every dime goes to the animals for their up keep vet cost, food etc. I check out every place I give to make sure they are the kind of place that I want to say I support.
 For some people it is easier to give money and think of the tax break they are getting and there are places who have lost their way in spending. There are places that are set up to fool people into thinking they are doing good work when they aren't but they aren't the norm nor do they stay under the radar for long Revenue Canada finds them and takes away the very thing that they use to lure people the tax exemption. Yes we must be vigilant in who we give to but must also be careful not to paint all charities with the same brush.

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:42 am »
I try to volunteer, donate and fund raise for the charities that are close to my heart. Primarily, they are related to kidney disease, heart disease and altzheimers disease. I've also done a fair amount of volunteer work for the humane society, for my church and was a regular blood donor.

I would leave clothes and household items outside for pick up when a charity that wasn't close to my heart phoned me. Last year the Kidney Foundation phoned. I had no clue they picked up and found out they sell the items they collect to Value Village. They picked up from me last year and I have a box for pick up later this month. They also have a car donation program. Kidney disease runs in my family and has a huge impact on the quality and longevity of life for many loved ones.

On top of feeling I'm making some sort of contribution, I feel I'm teaching a valuable lesson to my children. They are both very active volunteers themselves and I couldn't be more proud of them.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:30:07 am »
Thanks everyone for your information, websites and views. I will research the charities that I am interested in from this.

I have a feeling that for me it is best to zero in on a few charities close to my heart.

I just thought of something. Actually I didn't just think of it. Her plight has been bothering me. I just heard of a woman that I know through my neice and her husband. Her husband is the brother. Her husband just passed away from lung cancer. She is left with 5 children -ages 5 months to 14 years old. She will have to go on welfare. Wonder if I could do something for her and her children. Maybe I could ask my niece and husband how I could help. She may be too proud to want help from me. I could probably do it anonomosly. This has hit me. My husband died of lung cancer.

Dragonfly

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 02:50:02 pm »

Where did I recently read that 50% of money raised for " CANCER " is for administrative and the other is for actual research ?

When you make a donation the money DOES not end up where you think it is going. The rich have the money to make donations I do not.

You make x amount of dollars you OWE thousands in taxes now you put money to a charity and you get money back. Not a bad deal if you have money .This country favors the reach. Do not kid your self's.

Do you realize that when you buy and item and PAY 13% tax. The store you bought it from only pays 8% back. They are given 5% for the trouble of filing and send the money to the government.

Democracy is FAR from a bed of roses.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:22 pm »
Hello Dragonfly. I agree that donating to the charities that you like best is the way to go.

If you are looking for a way to help the woman and her kids, gift cards given anonymously are sometimes a good idea. I do this occasionally. There is no tax receipt, but the good feeling of helping someone is still there.

Just don't send them by mail, that's the same as sending cash in the mail. Take Care. paul m

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:38:51 am »
My OCD made me google search Dragonfly's question and I found this link: http://www.moneysense.ca/the-2013-charity-100-grades.

If I let myself, I'll spend days researching so that's as far as I'll go. I hope it helps.

Dragonfly, it's very noble what you want to do. Please be careful you are not taken advantage of.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 08:53:01 pm »
Paul I will think about the gift card idea. I think it would be a very good one. Will look at the government website some more.

Thank you Peace (I can't help thinking of you as spirit). That website is great. What an eye opener as to how much really goes to some charities. I appreciate that you looked up this website for me even though you thought it might effect your OCD. You are as helpful and caring as ever.

Thanks Peter. I do have donations picked up by the diabetes charity. Am I right in saying these items go to Value Village?

mommyfeelinglost - that is such a good idea about growing extra vegetables to give for a soup kitchen. Helping animals is such a good thing too.

Does anyone know of any craft that could be done to help people?

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 12:32:45 am »
Hello Dragonfly. For knitters and crocheters there are a lot of worth while causes. I know most shelters accept scarves, mitts etc. Some shelters accept afghans, blankets etc. Some hospitals accept baby blankets etc.  Each shelter and hospital has it's own rules as to what they will accept, so you would have to check the ones in your area.

Project Linus provides new, handmade, washable blankets to be given as gifts to seriously ill and traumatized children, ages 0-17.  Their website shows that there is a group near you http://www.projectlinuscanada.org/chapters.html?chpt=on#a   just scroll down the page a bit. The website also explains what they are looking for.

Another website has a variety of ideas

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/lionbrand/charitySearch.cgi?primaryStore=%2Fstores%2Flionbrand&storeId=%2Fstores%2Flionbrand&action=Search&organizationDescription=&itemDescription=&postalCode=&address=&city=&state=ON&country=CA&Radius=15&I1.x=43&I1.y=13&I1=Search

Take Care. paul m

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:18:45 am »
Thanks for the websites, Paul. I am going to check them out.

Dragonfly  :-*