Support for People with Mood Disorders > General Discussion

heart ailment...

(1/4) > >>

Pleeb:
Found out I have atrial fibrillation a while ago. 

--- Quote ---Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that can increase your risk of strokes, heart failure and other heart-related complications.
--- End quote ---

My nurse practitioner found out accidentally when she was checking my chest.  She then sent me to Emergency (St. Mikes - 5 minutes away)

This isn't something I noticed myself - I noticed a rapid heartbeat the odd time....didn't think anything of it.

An "ablation" cures this, and 99% effective.  You can do it with local anesthetic  :o or general, whereby you're out like a light.

The ablation is a few weeks down the road.

Heart ailments don't run in my family.

Peter

I have to learn to take my own pulse ::) -  I never have, and I don't know what's normal or not.

paulm:
Sorry to hear about that. I hope everything goes well for you. Take Care. paul m

Pleeb:
Thanks, Paul.  It's not painful, thank goodness.

Peter

Pleeb:
My medications were changed a bit recently, as my heart was still fast, and weak...

I'm getting an ECG soon to see if the med change made a difference.

My procedure "ablation" is the end of March.....probably..

I originally said I wanted a general anesthetic so I'll be out like a light.
I changed my mind - I'll go out of my comfort zone, and get a local anesthetic, which is the usual way of doing it.
Sorry if you can hear me screaming all the way from St. Mikes.... :o

A guy on my floor had something very similar with NO anesthetic.....he said it was a cinch, and he could see his heart pumping on a tv screen during the procedure!

Peter

paulm:
Hello Peter. Good Luck with your procedure. Take Care. paul m

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version