Author Topic: Struggling to explain  (Read 12853 times)

momfellinglost

• View Profile
Struggling to explain
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:37:20 pm »
 I live near a community that last week seen a tragedy recently. The young man who committed a horrible crime it appears suffered from mental illness and it appears that even though he tried to get help was turned away. My struggle isn't about what he did but the thinking being put out there that mental illness is an excuse. People seem to believe that "fixing" mental illness is simple go to doc you get a pill and you are good to go. Still many don't believe it is valid at all. While most with mental illness would be more likely to be victims than to commit a violent crime. But sad fact is many come into conflict with the law and while it isn't an excuse it is a factor. I always try to let people know that just because he did this it isn't common and that many living with mental illness are productive members of the cities we live in. I want people to be able to say if they choose that they have a mental illness and not be afraid that people will treat them badly(it may just be a goal). Many time I just don't say much about it not because I don't want to but because of the hate that is spewed by many. And it makes me sad that there are many who could use support from those around them that wont because of the people who want to vilify mental illness, and it worries me that it might just make someone who wants help not to seek it because of the nastiness they might see on line. Any thoughts or how do you deal with people that you might not know who spew this kind of hate. I know saying nothing is an option but I am of the thought that mental illness needs to be brought into the light of everyday people that it is a complicated illness and that every human deserves the best treatment available and at the fastest timeline wait lists are not acceptable.

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: Struggling to explain
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 02:18:54 am »
Hi, momfeelinglost....

So true!

I know saying nothing is an option but I am of the thought that mental illness needs to be brought into the light of everyday people that it is a complicated illness and that every human deserves the best treatment available and at the fastest timeline wait lists are not acceptable.

I've always said that people will think mental illness isn't so "weird" or whatever if more celebrities and athletes admit that they have problems....this will reduce the stigma.

Peter