Author Topic: "Christmas Eve"  (Read 8447 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
"Christmas Eve"
« on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:50 pm »
We open presents Christmas Eve, but early because of peoples' schedules.  We opened them on the 16th (potluck).  We choose one name for gifts.

My nephew got me:
-a cat mug (a good one!)
-yoga cats calendar
-cat bums colouring book

Trivia:  why the does the Royal Family open gifts Christmas Eve?  Because they're German (partly) like me!  The Queen's original name is a really long German one (same name as the King of Bulgaria - a lot of royalty are related to each other) which was changed to Windsor because of the War.

I knew Philip was born in Greece...didn't know his mother's last name another long German one.  He's also related to the former Czar of Russia.

Peter

I believe the custom of Christmas trees was introduced by one of the Queen's German ancestors.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: "Christmas Eve"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:56:29 pm »
Hi Peter,
 Our family always opened presents on Christmas Eve. My son is separated. He has met a woman and they are now living together. Her family tradition is to open gifts on Christmas Eve.
 Now my two girls and I will be opening gifts on Christmas Day at my son and girlfriends place. Us older ones exchange names. We all buy for my 3 grandchildren.
In Holland where I come from we did not celebrate Christmas. We celebrated St. Nickolas on December 5. The story goes that he came on a boat from Spain with Black Peter.
Dragonfly

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 07:06:11 am »
Hey everyone  :)

Very interesting facts Peter and Dragonfly. Thanks for sharing!

Peter, the gift from your nephew sounds perfect.

We started opening our stocking Christmas Eve years ago. We'll also be going to candlelight communion Christmas Eve. My oldest daughter and her boyfriend are sleeping over.

Christmas morning we'll open gifts, then I'm cooking Christmas dinner for me, my um ex-husband (strange situation), two daughters and their boyfriends.

Boxing Day we'll continue the family tradition my dad started 40 years ago and gather at my sister's. Both daughters and their boyfriends will be going to that.

I'm super excited this year that both daughters are staying in town, and their boyfriends will also be attending. They all get along really well.

Merry Christmas  :D

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 11:07:58 pm »
Hello Peter. My wife and I exchange our gifts whenever it's convenient. This yr it was tonight as Christmas Eve we will be traveling and we will spend Christmas day with our sons and their families and I'm too lazy to lug presents 300 km , just to bring them back LOL. Take Care. paul m