Author Topic: In Memoriam: Paul Morton (paulm), Hope + Me Volunteer  (Read 16055 times)

QV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
In Memoriam: Paul Morton (paulm), Hope + Me Volunteer
« on: February 05, 2021, 02:35:12 pm »
In Memoriam: Paul Morton

With great sadness we inform you of the passing of Paul Morton (paulm) on January 22nd, 2021. 

Well-known, dedicated, and a respected community supporter, Mr. Morton was current facilitator of the Midland Peer Support group and Moderator of online forums at Hope + Me - MDAO. 

Paul was a respected and accomplished leader within Hope + Me - MDAO community.

He first became involved with Hope + Me - MDAO in 1997 as the facilitator of the Midland Peer Support Group.  Paul?s tremendous empathy became a part of many participants? recovery journeys.  Paul also reached out to participants who could not join the Midland group in person.  He visited local hospitals to provide support to our members, never missing a meeting or a chance to provide those in need his empathetic listening ear.

In 2000, with his outstanding leadership skills, Paul spearheaded a regional conference for support groups and attended numerous such conferences in the following years.

Paul was also Ontario Regional Coordinator for more than seven years while supervising Hope + Me?s affiliates across the province.

Beginning in 2011, Paul acted as Moderator of the Hope + Me - MDAO online support forum.  He replied personally to hundreds of requests from people seeking information about mental health services and how to find the path to well-being.

Most respectably, Paul was the premiere winner of the Karen Liberman Lit From Within Award for his tremendous contributions and dedicated volunteer services, and featured in the book Dancing in the Rain.  He was also keynote speaker for the 2015 Annual General Meeting and many other Hope + Me events. 

In one of his speeches, Paul said to us: ?Although I can?t make a contribution to society by working - and that bothers me - I do make a contribution by volunteering.  I volunteer all the time.  And partially for selfish reasons, because it makes me feel good about myself, and this illness often takes away your feeling good about yourself.?