Author Topic: Re clutter....  (Read 10452 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re clutter....
« on: April 16, 2017, 01:16:50 am »
I read somewhere that just LOOKING at clutter can increase one's cortisone or whatever - it affects you.

When I get depressed or anxious I often have no idea why - I can't catch the thoughts, as they're buried.

Maybe just looking at my clutter without any thoughts affects me.

I've been to the clutter support group twice at MDAO.....guess it helped.

Peter

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: Re clutter....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:27:22 am »
Hi Peter,
Could you tell me what the clutter support group is all about. Do you have to go in person to this group or is there information on the internet.

My daughter has a real problem with clutter. She has dyslexia which probably contributes to having a hard time organizing things. I am starting to think that maybe she has OCD as well. If she gets on a certain subject she has to collect everything about it like titanic even if the facts are not that interesting (books). My daughter also gets stuck on other subjects and has to collect everything about it. She collects magazines and has piles of them. When you ask her to get rid of them she gets very angry. I guess she is a hoarder. It is starting to get so that she has to weave through stuff to get to her bed. Is there anyway I can help her.

My daughter lives with her oldest sister in a townhouse. Her sister won't do anything about it. It has been suggested by a friend of mine that she should be taking a pill to help her with this problem. Anybody got any thoughts about this.

It really worries me. I don't know if I should be the one to help her with this. My daughter gets really angry with me and my other daughter when we talk about her problem. I don't think she sees it as a problem.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 11:53:27 pm »
Hello Peter. I'm not sure how much clutter affects me. I have a tendency to live in a disorganized environment, which I'm sure that some people would find not right.  However my rationale is that I have better things to do than to super organize things. I do make time every few mths to clean up and file, organize etc my place.  Sometimes I take too long to through something out or to get rid if it, but not to the point that it bothers anyone. Well occasionally the wife LOL, but then she hangs onto some things to long too.  There is a big difference between someone who has some clutter and disorganization and someone who is hoarding.  Take Care. paul m

Hello Dragonfly, I know very little about hoarding other than it can become a real problem. I came across this website however I cannot say whether it is good or bad as I simply don't know enough.
https://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/hoarding-basics

I do know enough to know that even the experts aren't 100% sure about hoarding causes. The article does suggest about how to do an intervention, but I have no experience in that area and for all I know the article is not correct. Sorry that I can't be more help. Take Care. paul m

P.S. ATT Buddy Mack and/or Peace. The article states the following :Those most often associated with hoarding are obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and depression.   You two are more up on the OCPD and OCD than I am , any ideas or suggestions?

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 12:17:44 pm »
Hi Paul,
 Looked up the website that you posted about OCD and hoarding. Some of it describes my daugher to a tee. I am going to print that article out. I wonder if I dare show her and if she realizes that she has a problem. I think she definitely needs help. I don't know how to go about that though. She gets very angry with her sister and I shen we talk about it.

Dragonfly

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 04:40:02 pm »

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 05:55:06 pm »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info. Too bad we don't live in Toronto otherwise I would have liked to take my daughter.

Dragonfly

Littleorchid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:55 pm »
Dragonfly

Maybe get her a scanner so she can digitize the papers? I am not sure if this helps "deal" with the problem but if she gets rid of some of the clutter it will be good for her - I think hoarding feeds on itself. You feel bad looking at the clutter and you hoard because you feel bad.

My grandmother has a hoarding problem - that's how I learned that I have it as well and I deal with it by slowly pushing myself to throw things out. It's painful but it gets easier after time and I feel ok in my room. Still have too much clothes though.

hope that helps

littleorchid

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 12:14:24 am »
Hello Littleorchid. That's a great idea. When we had to move our mother out of her house into a much smaller place we found that she had saved thousands of newspaper and magazine clippings, each one of some interest to her. She most distressed when we threw most of them out. Some were inherited from her mother so some of the stuff was pretty interesting,but non of us had a place to store it and digital wasn't available.

I still have several boxes of the stuff(some of it 100 yrs plus old) . I am looking down the end of living in a large place, so I might just buy a scanner and do that with my own stuff. I ck'ed and they are not that expensive these days. Thx for the suggestion and Take Care. paul m

Stenacron man

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 03:23:01 pm »
Paul sorry I missed this you wrote.

P.S. ATT Buddy Mack and/or Peace. The article states the following :Those most often associated with hoarding are obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and depression.   You two are more up on the OCPD and OCD than I am , any ideas or suggestions?

hording is listed under both OCD and OCPD. My brother is like me OCPD but is a mega horder and he thinks he is perfectly fine and the doctors have brain washed me into mental illness. Wow if that is not a conundrum statement I have never heard one before. I am not a horder by any means I own very little but that has more to do with the sized of my bedroom. 4 feet X 15 feet ya very small its actually behind a cabinet so I have to purge all the time. Hording is not listed as part of ADHD per say but it is a very strong factor of OCPD.

We ! my brother and me have a good but fractured relationship. He loves Trump and I see Trump as a classic psychopathy with very strong narcissistic class b traits, with little to no insight. So ya we are oil and water LOL.       

Buddy Mack.   

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 05:25:09 am »
Hi, guys.....I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, I clutter....I don't really hoard....a bit.

Peter