Author Topic: Exploring (OCD) & (OCPD) and just what they really are.  (Read 16922 times)

Stenacron man

• View Profile
Exploring (OCD) & (OCPD) and just what they really are.
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »
Exploring (OCD) & (OCPD) and just what they really are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amendment; I have decided to amend my post here to put some information right up front. This is a detailed and long post. True (OCD) is an Anxiety driven disorder that creates more anxiety as cause and effect. Management of (OCD) starts with proper management of anxiety itself.  If you have been diagnosed as a person of (OCD) you should have also been, and more importantly have been diagnosed with a true anxiety disorder. (OCD) is manifested from anxiety directly creating a vicious cycle of trying to get rid of the anxiety. (OCD) is truly unlimited in its behaviours you can have (OCD) actions about anything in life. Also the condition we refer to as Racing-mind is found in (ADHD) and Bipolar Disorder. Although anything is possible with the human brain generally it is not part of the (OCD) spectrum. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometime in the early 1990’s the term (OCD) became a hot topic. Actually it became an “epidemic”. I have read a paper commenting on Sigmund Freud in 1910 writing about a group of patients that were (OCPD). So you can see how far back this goes.

So let’s take a closer look at (OCD) & (OCPD). You first might wonder why there are two acronyms for (OCD). There are two different classifications of (OCD).

Class 1; (OCD) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Class 2; (OCPD) Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder

And for the record I have both disorders which is very complex. I will use them to describe my (OCD) and my (OCPD).

(OCD) is just a straight obsession about certain things the other one is a true and progressive Personality disorder that can destroy your life. Both in their own rights are difficult to manage and can severely impact a person’s ability to function on a normal scale. The one difference from my side of the fence is (OCPD) does not create high anxiety in me. My (OCD) on the other hand highly stimulates my (ADHD) racing-mind, causing hyperactivity and high anxiety, without panic attacks.

When (OCD) was first popularized in the 1990’s it was about over cleanliness and people that were germ-phobic. Then everybody that had good cleaning and hygiene habits thought they were (OCD) and it took off from there to become a super epidemic and a chronic believe that for most people wasn’t true.

Regarding true (OCD) there are unlimited types because there are unlimited personalities or (People). But they, the APA American Psychiatric Association have managed over the last 60 years to be able to group the behaviors involved into classifications and separate disorders, and they are all classified in the (DSM)-IV as anxiety disorders.

Typically true (OCD) people are very “clear-headed” and aware that they are obsessing about things but just can’t stop doing what they are doing. The compulsion makes them desirous to continue to obsessing about what they are doing and they continue in a vicious cycle. In true (OCD) there is a ends to a means, or and expected final product that must be achieved. Let’s break it down.

Obsessive; Someone who constantly think about something over and over and can’t stop doing something. A chronic need for something to be achieved.

Compulsive; governed by an obsessive need to conform to a set of standards often established by their own believes.

Disorder; lack of order or regular arrangement; misfiring of neurotransmitters in serotonin levels causing acute elevations in serotonin levels, or high anxiety.

Inside the (OCD) spectrum there are many different types or disorders on their own merit that are all (OCD). Examples; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, perceived defects or flaws in physical appearance, Hoarding Disorder, Trichotillomania (Hair-Pulling Disorder), Excoriation (Skin-Picking) Disorder, and then there are medically induced (OCD’s) caused by a specific medication and or medical conditions.

The only place where “patterns” fits into the (OCD) condition is doing the same thing over and over again. There are many conditions under the umbrella of (OCD). But the results are still an order of operations to achieve relieve from anxiety caused by the (obsessive-compulsive) components of the disorder.

There are 3 levels of these conditions, mild, moderate, and severe. There are 3 basic specifiers that relate to cognitiveness; with good or fair insight, with poor insight, with absent insight / delusional beliefs.

Because (OCD) is a personal and personality “driven” the conditions range is astonishing and truly unlimited.

Now we move to my (OCD) and it is called compartmentalized (OCD) and it is target specific. What will happen is I will be sitting around one day and bang I find a problem that needs an answer or a solution. Example; Quantum Physics and the missing information never seen by the great ones. While in this mode I sit in hypomania because I am Bipolar. I immediately with “super-focus” hone in on the target which is the final answer. I will read, study, research everything ever written on the subject till I become a master at it and write my own hypothesis and complete thesis and often inside 6 month. Sometimes reading over 2000 pages of scientific literature. And I end up creating a final product that solves that specific enigma.  So far this all sound great right !! but it’s not, and here is why.

While I am in “super-zoom” mode I become completely obsessed and compulsive with my target like a Piranha to a bleeding animal in the water, I attack. I do it at the exclusion that everything else around me does not exist. My whole world falls apart while in this mode, and I bottom out with a manic or super major depressive cycle when the problem is solved.

I have built, designed, invented, and created many incredible things doing this but at a major cost to my life. Just how far into the feature can I create here are some examples. Sometime around 1973 I was about 6 years old when this happened. My mom, brother, sister and I were at a Tim Hortons one of the first ones. I theorized in 1973 and said to my mom and family. What we need are “DRIVE THROUGH” Tim Hortons that way you never need to get out of your car. You place your order pick it up, and go on your way.

Now let’s look at my (OCPD) in detail because mine is textbook in its content. I call it Systematical (OCPD) because it is bound together by systematical thinking of operation and order of specific operations. Everything in my life and my believes are rigid and fixed in rules of order taught in grade school. Examples are; Left to right, 1-10, top to bottom, A-Z, (2+2 always = 4), and so on. These rules are not just an expectation they are my standards at all expenses.

"This inflexibility does not function well in a world where we make life up as we go along”.

I am also severally bound by accuracy. I have always said; “ Precisions and Accuracy are not an accident they are an Achievement”. My work has lead me to work in super accuracy. I use to own a fixed Machinist Square By Starrett. It was calibrated and guaranteed to be ¼ second for accuracy. What that means is it was ground to a ¼ of 1/12th of a degree from perfect 90*. I am a super perfectionist with anything I do and am very firm under all standards established in mathematics, science, and physics.

Now let’s look at a photo that depicts (OCD) when I look at this photo I do see (OCD) features. Based on just this photo I would have diagnosed this as; Patient displays mild criteria 300.3 page 422 DSM-IV (OCD) criteria 1,2,3,4, with specifier; poor insight. Patient needs moderate organization. If this person was heavy impaired by (OCD) the order would be different the colors would be light to dark, not dark then light then back to  dark. (OCD) is generally about organization as a final outcome, it’s not miss-organization.

If this patient suffered (OCPD) everything here would be very different. Example; (OCPD) people are very aware of all types of order and are bound to them. A person like me would know that [white and black] are not colors and belong at either end of the color spectrum. I would be forced to start with white on the left then the yellows gradually moving to the final outcome being black on the right. As well all the pencil crayon ends would line up with the edge of the table.

Also we should cover the anxiety part. When I wake up for the first 15 minutes I am free from anxiety. After that if not medicated my mind goes into hyper-drive and things get out of control. For me I believe in what I call a “preempted strike”. I take all my morning meds within 5 minutes of become awake and aware. In those meds is Diazepam 5 mg I take that med to combat anxiety before it starts. I also take it in the afternoon. (OCD) is an anxiety driven disorder and it exacerbates current ongoing anxiety. If you modify the anxiety before you are in trouble then true (OCD) can be managed.     

I hope this post helps you or enlightens you into the complex world of (OCD) & (OCPD) and just how destructive it real is. It can be very time consuming to the point of total exclusion as in my case. If you have one of these conditions and would like details about it I would be happy to try to help you out. I am obviously highly cognitive of my conditions otherwise I would have not been able to write this post. 

Buddy Mack.             
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:09:31 pm by Stenacron man »

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring (OCD) & (OCPD) and just what they really are.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »
Hello Buddy mack. Thx for posting the interesting article. Take Care. paul m