Author Topic: Do you need help understanding things  (Read 8933 times)

Stenacron man

• View Profile
Do you need help understanding things
« on: January 25, 2017, 02:50:58 pm »
Hi I am new here and you can call me Buddy, or Buddy mack.

If you need help understanding things and your doctors description is to vague to get you going the right way with things, ask me I may be able to help.

I will not diagnose you only point you on the most likely path

I am a independent taxonomic researcher into the classification and ecosystems of aquatic insects.  And just finished a 5 years study of one genus resulting in two books unpublished on the subject.

I am very knowledgeable on mental illnesses and am capable of researching things for you and to be able to describe things to you in a very personal manner. Most times when we see our doctors there is little time for proper descriptions and proper diagnosis. Often times doctors reach for the closet diagnosis and go with it. That doesn't mean the diagnosis was correct. But in many cases the medication given will treat multiple disorders with similar moderate effects. I am all about advocating for myself and others. We need serious help and there is little funding available from governments for research and treatments.

I am finally properly diagnosed, meaning; 2 psychiatrists, my GP and myself all agree on the following and yes it took 20 years and my personal study and knowledge to finally come to this; 

Bipolar type II, ADHD, Compartmentalized (OCD), Systematical (OCPD) Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, anxiety disorder, and 20 years of chronic (MDD) Major Depressive Disorder. I have lived with chronic suicide since 1997. In 1997 I did officially commit suicide by drowning was revived and have been institutionalized 12 times since.

What this tells you is there is someone worse than you are that is understanding and may be able to help you out with some understanding. That's not saying you're not as bad off as I am but just different.

Buddy Mack.   

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Do you need help understanding things
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:12:27 am »
Hello Buddy Mack and welcome.  Unfortunately you are right when you say that most docs don't do a good job of diagnosis. For example far too many docs prescribe anti depressants without asking any questions about mania and then the patient may end up flying higher than kite.

In regards to the number of doctors, a fiend of mine said once said that you need one doctor for every decade old you are. I laughed at the time, but now that'm old I find that he's right. I have a G.P., neurologist, a psychiatrist, a dentist, an eye doctor , a rheumatologist and an allergist.

Well looks like I'm set for awhile I appear to be one over my limit LOL.  Welcome and Take Care. Paul M

Stenacron man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:29 pm »
Hi Paulm and thank for you welcome and edits

It's hard for people to imagine but they the Doctors are so overworked and have little time to really research things properly. They have to fall back on their training and take the next best guess and not saying they are not right....but is it a complete diagnosis....in my experience not likely.

I like that line about one doctor per decade; this year alone i ended up with, neurologist, rheumatologist, gastroenterologist, psychiatrist's, ENT, cardiologist, urologist, and a dentist.

Sadly I was dying this years  and fell deadly ill from  Lithium induced (NDI) (Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus)

And I will be criminally prosecuting My Psychiatrist for assault and battery. Lithium is a Class B controlled drug that requires regular intervention and testing. He never intervened only did blood test, and never asked if I wanted to be on Lithium he just put me on it.   If he had of intervened I would have never got that sick. I ended up in the ER 17 times because of this I can't imagine what that cost us taxpayers because someone didn't do their job right.  He basically left me to die. I have made a full recovery physically and mentally. When a doctor graduated in 1963 and he is still practising I am not sure that is a good idea. All of our minds start to go as we get older, and some worse than others. 

Buddy Mack.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:13:37 pm by Stenacron man »

Stenacron man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 02:29:00 pm »
Paulm

Quoting you form your post;

many docs prescribe anti depressants without asking any questions about mania and then the patient may end up flying higher than kite.

This is a deadly problem the antidepressants RRSI's are serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors making and increasing the serotonin. There is a condition called [ Serotonin Syndrome ] that is lethal. That is when the serotonin level are too high. It is a big problem with mania or a manic state because mania over produces serotonin naturally. Mixing the two is a bad combination. Thanks for bring that to light and I hope my explanation helps other understand.

Buddy mack.     

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »
Hello Stenacron man and thx for not being upset about the edit. You had given very good advice, and I really hated to do the edit, I even phoned my co moderator and we made the combined decision that you were an extremely knowledgeable who only wanted to help.

Unfortunately even we moderators have to take orders sometimes. And Just so that you know, I myself have had other moderators edit me way more than once over the yrs.

Thx for sharing part of your story and thx for telling us about how " I have made a full recovery physically and mentally." It's important for people to know that recovery is possible .  I'm sure that it's been a log up hill battle , but congrats for doing it.

The other problem that I have is that sometimes I will read a post and then I'll get out my little soapbox and get up on it and start yapping to the crowd.

You mentioned about your doctor didn't do the proper follow up.  That is tragic. I call this file and forget style of psychiatry and it is too prevalent.   I was diagnosed with bipolar I, was given a 3 mth prescription and off I went. My mind was too muddled to ask my pharmacist or do much research and I blindly took my meds. When they didn't work it caused all manner of problems, including financial, problems with my spouse etc etc.

What really tics me off is when my sis-in-law was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, she was also given an appt with a dietitian, an appt with a counselor at the local diabetes clinic and an opportunity to sign up for free classes so that she could learn more about her illness. 

When I think of all of the agony that the same style of system could have saved 1000's of mental health patients , not to mention money the Gov't could have saved, my blood boils.  Even today(locally) unless you are diagnosed with a mental health problem no doctor even mentions anything about the local mental health clinic. Of course there is a 3 mth waiting list to get in to see a counselor and and ... but now it's time for me to put my little soap box away and cool off. Thx for giving me an opportunity to yap about our system. Take Care. paul m