Author Topic: Any self improvement projects?  (Read 8121 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
Any self improvement projects?
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:12:00 pm »
Current or coming up?

I have two or so:
-reading my posture book, doing the exercises
My posture is lousy despite years of yoga.  Haven't done any lately.

-reading the course materials for a recent depression course I took

Also, trying to be mindful....hard to get into it this time.  I've done mindfulness before for fairly long periods.  ("mindfulness" not "mindfulness meditation")

Peter

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Any self improvement projects?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 03:33:24 pm »
Hello Peter. I'm trying to become a better chess player. Harder than it sounds as all the great whiz kids are young. I think the current champion is 22. Not that I think I'm ever going to be a champion, I'm using chess to help improve my concentration and forward thinking ability. 

However with all of the on line aides, games, even tournaments that you can now play with chess, it's possible to stay at home and get soundly thrashed instead of driving 50 miles to get trashed LOL.   I do win some games because you can play against people of your own skill level sometimes, although for some reason you will sometimes get people with a much higher skill level than they claim, playing just so they can beat up on someone in a lower class. I don't understand the sense of that.

I had always loved chess, but after high school I never had any time for it, so with the advancement with computers I get to play nearly every day. Take Care. paul m

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:46:38 pm »
Hi Peter,
I am trying to pace myself better. I find I do too much for a couple of days and then I pay for it. I sometimes need to sleep most of the day. I become very iritable and sometimes weepy. I have to be very careful not to get angry at the people around me which is mostly my family. Sometimes it takes me a few days to recover.
I have to look after myself better. Take more breaks and relax. I am doing more reading lately. I sometimes find this more relaxing than TV or the computer if I have a good book.
I have to step back from doing too much for the family. I forget that they are grown and do not need help with things. They know more about current things like technology, music, etc
I am now 65 years old and must realize I cannot do what I used to do. Sometimes this is very frustrating for me.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:25 pm »
Hello Dragonfly and Peter. I just got back from camping and that always improves my out look on life.  Dragonfly, if you are just finding out at 65 that you can't do what you used to, consider yourself lucky. I discovered years ago that I couldn't do what I used to LOL. Just kidding about considering yourself lucky.

I sometimes get very frustrated when my body and mind let me down. Yesterday I had a full day planned, but I got up and I just couldn't get my mind to focus on anything so I went back to bed and spent the day there. The plus side of that is because I know that a variety of illnesses are going to force me to cancel a day every now and then, I no longer feel frustrated or guilty about doing so.

Because I took yesterday off, I felt great today and got a lot done. In the old days I would have dragged my butt of bed, been grouchy and not accomplished much for 3 or more days.  On the really bright side, my dog loved it as she too is getting older, doesn't mind sleeping 20 hrs in a day and enjoys the company in bed LOL.

In regards to technology , I just hand my sons our cell phone, camera etc to program and then hope that nothing goes wrong before I see them again. Whenever I try to learn too much new technology I seem to forget what I learned the next day. Take Care. paul m

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 04:19:22 am »
Re getting older (I'm 70 in June), I sometimes get the days mixed up.

Not that alarming, but today I went to stores expecting they would be open.   :-[

I'm walking more....for exercise, and I'd like to go to A Stroll in the Park walking club again.  They have long walks, and they walk pretty fast.

Peter