Author Topic: unsure  (Read 12569 times)

Sadkitty

• View Profile
unsure
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:32:05 am »
Hi,

So I am new here.  I came across this page in my search when looking for support groups for people with mood disorders.  I've gotten to the point where I think I need to reach out to people outside of counselling for extra support and new ideas that I can try to help myself out with my own problems that I'm still learning to manage.  I don't really talk to my family about this kind of stuff and I have very few friends in which to talk to about this kind of stuff.  I found out there is a peer support group meeting in my city next week.  I have never been to any sort of support group meetings before so the thought of going really makes me anxious because I don't know what to expect and I'll be in a room with a bunch people I don't know.  I was wondering if anyone has gone to these meetings before and what it was like/approximately how many people are usually there?  I'm still trying to decide if I should go or not.  I think it might benefit me but I just need to be able to push myself to do so, which is hard considering recently I've gotten into the bad habit of only going to work and then spending my days off alone locked away in my room being anti social.  I've never been a good group person but I'm trying to improve on that.

Sadkitty

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: unsure
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:44:36 am »
Welcome, Sadkitty - I've been to many MDAO (and other) support groups - nothing to worry about!

First of, at the beginning, people give their names (or names they would like to use that day), any condition they have, and if they'd like to talk or not.  Not everyone chooses to talk.

At MDAO, the rooms are smallish, and there are usually 15ish people.  When people are sitting, waiting for the group to start, the atmosphere ISN'T so tense, partly because some people know each other.

What a great feeling to find out that someone does/thinks the same (negative?) thing that you do!

Please let me know if you have other questions!

Peter

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:52:55 am »
Hello SadKitty. Peer support groups are usually pretty good. Not every group is a fit for every person, but in general they are free and if you don't like the way it was run, you don't have to come back and all that you have wasted is a couple of hrs.

However if it does work for you, you may end up with yrs of support and make a lot of new friends. Each peer support group has a different # of people attend, there are usually 6-8 at the one I go to.

As Peter has said, nobody is forced to take part. I probably didn't say anything other than hello or good bye for the first 6 mths I went, since then I haven't shut up. (about 26yr+)

In our group, some people need to take a break, they just say excuse me and leave the room and nobody ask them why. It's also nice to talk with people who understand what it's like to be ill with a none visible illness. So take a chance and go. God Luck and Take Care. paul m. P.S. don't forget about us, were nice to talk to too.

Sadkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 07:41:22 am »
Thank you both for the information it really is helpful. I just have to find a way to talk myself into actually going. I'll probably only listen the first time to see what it's like and what others are sharing.

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:09:29 pm »
I'll probably only listen the first time to see what it's like and what others are sharing.
  :)
Or go with someone else?

At MDAO groups, I've see people who are so nervous, they sit in the doorway with the door partially open....no one minds.

Peter

momfellinglost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum. There are a great bunch here. Hope you will post and come and go as you feel comfortable

Sadkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 01:56:15 pm »
Well I didn't end up going.  I've been having very bad days this week and haven't been able to bring myself to leave the house other then for obligations.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to find someone to go with but I think I'll be more likely to go if I have someone there with me.  I just haven't really wanted to mention this to others.  I'll trying going to a meeting later this month. On a side note  I also found out from my doctor's secretary that my referral for an appointment with a psychiatrist doesn't seem to exist in my file.  She's on vacation right now so he's marked my file with urgent with a note for when she gets back. I'm super annoyed because it's been over 3 months and she's kept asking me if I've gotten a call and I kept saying no but she never checked on it.  Hopefully that'll get resolved soon although knowing my luck the one she's referred me to is probably no longer accepting new patients anymore.  If that's the case I really hope she can give me some sort of option to help.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 03:52:15 pm »
Hello Sadkitty. My wife dragged me to my first meeting and even then I wouldn't get out of the car. Finally 1/2 way through the meeting she came out and dragged me into it and 26+ yrs later I'm still going and enjoying it.

I can't guarantee that you will like going to group, but it doesn't cost anything and nobody minds if you have to leave early.

n regards to your problems with the doc's secretary not having a note in your file. Once the doctor has referred me on to anyone else, then I tell the secretary on the way out that doc so and so wants me to see whoever and then I follow up with her. I found out long ago that A) docs often forget to include that note B) sometimes the secretary  makes the phone call and then leaves it up to the psychiatrist secretary to call you. This leaves another place where the ball can get dropped.

One of the reasons why I m always nice to my doctors secretary is she is the go to person in the office. That goes for test results too, I'll have blood work done and I ask her if I can see the result,not all secretaries will oblige  , but a lot will, especially if it's just a routine test. Good Luck and Take Care. Paul M

Sweetpea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 10:05:56 pm »
Hi sad kitty,

Going through the same thing but really want to give the support groups a try. It's a possible step in the right direction. Give us updates, if you end up going would like to know your experience. I've also sent you a msg in your inbox.

Good luck !

Sadkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 12:00:22 pm »
So I have decided I'm going to try and go to this Tuesday night's meeting. I talked to a friend about it and he thinks it'll be really helpful for me. As for the referral with my Doctor she changed her mind a decided it would be best to send one into The royal so we filled out the form at my last appointment and now it's just a waiting game again. Hopefully I don't have to wait for too long.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 10:42:17 pm »
Hello Sweetpea. Somehow I missed your post and saying welcome. So hello and welcome. Take Care. paul m

Hello SadKitty. How are you making out? Take Care. paul m

Sadkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 01:58:00 pm »
Well I went to a meeting last night.  It went a lot better then I thought it was going to.  I was quiet most of the time did more listening then anything.  I talked a little bit at the end about a little bit of stuff and managed to kind of connect with one of the other girls there.  It was nice.  I was a bit less anxious by the end.  I will probably go again.  There was a lot more people in the room then I thought there was going to be and we ended up splitting into two groups.  Everyone was really nice.

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:04 am »
That's wonderful, Sadkitty!! I'm glad it went well and congrats on finding the courage to go.  :)

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 04:13:24 am »
Great for sadkitty!   :)

Peter

I haven't been to a support group in ages.  I may go to my quit smoking support group on Monday.  I quit 10 years ago, but I still go once in while.  I introduce myself as "Role Model."   ::)