Author Topic: Not doing well continued  (Read 9612 times)

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
Not doing well continued
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:12:53 am »
I started a new thread so people don't have to scroll down.

Situation at home has escalated. Won't get into detail because it's upsetting.

Spoke with my councillor at my local women's shelter. She's good, by the way. I'm an external client so there's only so much she can do. She gave me another place to contact because she thought they did outreach. I phoned the other place and she said they don't do outreach. I said I have agoraphobia, could they make an exception. She said the view around people with agoraphobia is they want you to face your fear. I said my agoraphobia is complicated by my OCD in that when change takes place I panic. I explained that when my psychiatrist changes our regular appointment it can set me back for a couple of months. I was trying to explain I don't have the standard agoraphobia, mine is more complicated. She didn't give me the chance to go further and explain it sets me back so badly because it involves me having to leave my home more than once that month and change my routine. Right away she said their counsellors sometimes have to change appointment times and was throwing up other barriers around me getting help from them. I was panicking. She referred me to places closer to my home I've already contacted and are 2 buses and a walk away so I made note of them to try to attend once my agoraphobia has improved.

I'm sorry for venting again, I'm just so exhausted from all this. I don't know where else to go to talk to, so I come here.

I decided now I guess I need to not go into so much detail, I need to just say my agoraphobia is complicated by other health issues. End of story.

Someone with my health should not have to do all this legwork and be given the run around like this. It's ridiculous. It also has caused me to lose hope and believe no one actually gives a crap about me

Thank you for listening.  :'(

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: Not doing well continued
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:57:01 pm »
Hi Peace,

I do care about you. Do not give up hope. I find that many people cannot relate as they have never walked in your shoes. They are quick to judge.

Dragonfly

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:38:49 am »
Thank you, Dragonfly. It's very true. There's this set thought "face your fears", which I can see the rationale behind, but not everyone fits the mold due to other factors. "Studies show". I don't happen to be a study.

I care about you too.  :) You've dealt with so much, yet you always have been here for me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:41:01 am by Peace »

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »
 I would never think that I knew what it felt like to have diabetes or MS or Parkinson's syndrome, and I would certainly never imagine that I knew how best to treat those illnesses, so why would someone  ever think that they knew how it feels to have agoraphobia or how to manage it? It's disturbing that the people who are judging and labeling are the ones whose job it is supposed to be to help :( I am so sorry that you are having to go through all this! It is very wrong. "Face your fears" indeed!  If it was that simple doesn't she think you would have thought of it by now? Thinking of you and sending many good wishes!

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 03:45:39 am »
Thank you, Dragonfly. It's very true. There's this set thought "face your fears", which I can see the rationale behind, but not everyone fits the mold due to other factors. "Studies show". I don't happen to be a study.

Good one!  "I don't happen to be a study!" -  >:(

Take care.....Peter

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 05:58:53 am »
Thanks Amanda and Peter  :)

It really means a lot to have your support. It also reinforces to me the need to advocate and continue trying to explain in the hope changes can be made at some point.

momfellinglost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 12:45:27 pm »
I am sorry you are having a hard time at the one place you should feel safe your home. Sending you hugs and hope you can find some help. People think is so easy to deal with and that everyone should fit into a mold and when you fall through the cracks for services. Remember if you feel unsafe and I get the feeling you don't want to but remember the police are there to help you if you need it and it does not always need to be physical to call them. If someone is making you feel unsafe because of their actions don't feel guilty for calling them or for causing drama you need to do what will keep you safe both physically and mentally. Hope find a solution and will be thinking of you