Author Topic: How's everyone doing?  (Read 11455 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
How's everyone doing?
« on: February 26, 2016, 05:12:37 am »
I'm ok....semi.  Maybe mildly depressed for months....can't be bothered to tidy up and such for ages....but going to the gym lately, on the other hand.

I don't have Seasonal Affective Disorder that I know of...  Looking forward to Daylight Savings Time in early March!

Peter

Found out I have a cataract.  Not a huuge deal - it could affect my vision years down the road.  My optometrist says sunglasses will help.  I'm very bright light sensitive anyway.

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: How's everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:59:15 am »
Learned today that oldest brother (76) had 2 mini strokes recently.  No hospitalization.....

He had a mini stroke 2 1/2 years ago.

I know a guy in his 40's or so who had one.  Symptom was that he couldn't move or feel one hand.  Maybe some other stuff.

Peter

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 05:50:48 am »
Good for you for going to the gym, Peter!  :)

My blood pressure was high when I was at the doctor so I'm forcing myself to walk every day, and I'm trying to eat better. I'm hanging in there, just stressed over the whole separation process. Not at all impressed with the lack of help for someone in my position. Having said that, there are some people I've dealt with who seem to really care and are going above and beyond to try to help me.

Wishing a speedy recovery and good health to your brother.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 08:46:03 pm »
Hello Peter.  Sorry to hear about your bother. I've been so-so, my moods haven't been too bad, but my physical health has been one nagging thing after another since last summer and it's starting to wear me down a bit. I'm hoping for an early spring to jump start my energy levels and to put an end to what seems to be an endless cycle of minor viruses , major colds , coughs etc. Take Care. paul m

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:13:47 am »
Hi Peter,  Thanks for starting this discussion. I am doing okay.

Had a very interesting experiences last week. I had some paint work done in my house for two days. A middle aged woman and a 33 year old man did it. They were very accomodating and friendly. The woman worked around the fact that I napped in the afternoon. Didn't paint at that time. The man told me he had a very rough life. His father was an alcoholic. He, himself, drank quite a bit at the age of 21. Had a very good business going. Then his Opa (grandfather) died who basically brought him up. His girlfriend committed suicide. So he became an alcoholic at age of 27 years old. Lost his business. Now he is starting to straighten out. Has gone back to his religion. Feels like he is scum and God is trying to punish him. I told him he wasn't scum and a very good person. I didn't know whether to open up to him about my mental illness -bipolar but I did. He was so understanding. We had very good conversations. I also spoke a lot to the woman painter. I realized from the way she talked she was lonely. On her own.

On the second day of the painting in the early morning my furnace of 53 years gave out. The man who was painting phoned one of his contacts and his friend the owner of a company that serviced and installed furnaces. In the end I had to replace my furnace. In the course of having my furnace put in I met 4 people working to put it in. These men were so honest, friendly and respectful. They did not gouge me on the price and labor of the furnace. The owner felt so bad that I had to put that money out. He kept apolozing and I said don't apologize. He told me I was very easy to work for. I told him I appreciated how quickly they put the furnace in. He didn't think it was a big deal about the work he did. I said no way. Not everyone can do your job.

I was quite panicked sometimes about having these people in my house. Little did I know that these experiences were going to be so important to me. I think I am finally starting to like the person I am.  Somewhat.

As some of you know my son is living with me due to his separation and has his two kids on certain days. My son has now bought a place and will be moving out soon. I will miss him. He is very loving and respectful of me and the kids are good kids. It is a drain on me though. I think it is good he is moving on. I know I will see lots of him and the kids anyway.

Feel I have gained much more confidence since my husband died almost 5 years ago. Hope I am not sounding like a goody, goodly. Sorry I am so long winded.

Sorry that some of you are having such struggles. Believe I still have those off days.

Dragonfly

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:22:54 pm »
Hi Dragonfly.  I am new to this group and just reading my way around.  I really enjoyed your story about your experience with your home (although I'm sorry you had to spend so much on a new furnace). It is really pleasant to hear about how a process that seems daunting and potentially unpleasant can be completely turned around by respectful, understanding people!  What an important connection you must have made, even if just for a short time.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 09:14:04 pm »
Thank you and welcome Amanda! We are a very friendly, supportive, non-judgmental group. We would like to hear from you more.

Hope you are doing well.

Dragonfly

misskris3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 11:39:32 am »
I'm dealing with some bad anxiety after a failed relationship with someone who is very sick but doesn't really know the extent/has not been diagnosed.

I'm trying to do things for myself but I still feel this underlying anxiety because I know I cant speak to him. it goes away when we do talk, but talking is more destructive to me than anything at this point. all he knows how to do is take from me, its not a reciprocal relationship.

my doc put me on 10mg of cipralex which helps a bit but I've been trying to meditate and build myself back up after losing this relationship and person who was so dear to me.

I'm struggling with grief

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 11:55:55 pm »
Hi Peter.  I know you don't know me - I'm new here - but I'm so sorry that you have been struggling with mild depression!  Sometimes I think that's almost the worst kind.  Disaster-type depression and we call for help.  But low-level live-with-it type depression and we go on living with it. I hope the brighter weather will help you feel better! Well done going to the gym!  Please pass along and share that dedication.

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 12:01:01 am »
Hi Peace.  I know you don't know me - I am new - but I am so sorry about the stress you are experiencing with your separation! My separation and divorce happened many years ago but I will never forget how painful it was. I am glad that you have people in your life who get it and can be there to support. It's very hard to go through.

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 12:09:48 am »
Misskris3 that sounds so hard:( You want to help and support this person but they are not able to receive and accept that at this time.  And still you worry about them. The non-reciprocal relationships feel so destructive.  I have too right now with a platonic friend. It is very hurtful to be ready to give so much of yourself and to receive so little back. I hope you are okay.