Author Topic: Taking a singing course....  (Read 7800 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
Taking a singing course....
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:23:50 am »
Toronto Bd of Education evening course.  3 (!) hours on Tuesdays, but no break (!), so we leave 15 minutes early.

First class was Tuesday - strenuous!  Stretching exercises, especially.  Learned a LOT about anatomy, vocal chords and such.  Trivia:  whispering is bad for your voice, among other things....can't remember the other things.

I thought I was getting a sore throat afterwards - my (older) vocal chords weren't used to that much of a workout.

Luckily, the teacher is very good, and funny!

Peter

I thought this might help with anxiety - proper breathing and such.  I've never sung before.

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: Taking a singing course....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:34:43 am »
The teacher gave us a lot of handouts to read.

Problem:  I have a lifelong fear (?) of getting instructions from people like bosses.  Lots of times, a boss is giving me instructions, and I'm NOT even paying attention....my mind is wandering.

Theory:  I don't think I'm "good enough" to do the task, so I don't pay attention?.....kinda.

Today, thinking that I had handouts to read made me somewhat depressed, and I had to lie down.

I finally read some of them, but HAD to stop.....felt bad somehow, plus the handouts are VERY detailed and "intense."

Peter

On a lighter note, after I retired 6 (?) years ago, I had to adjust to not greeting people with "meow" or answering the phone with "meow."  Only with the people I hung around with.   ;D

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:39:24 am »
Update:  dropping out of the course.

Too many irons in the fire - I used to do that a lot when younger......start a project, don't follow through, then go on to another project....probably don't follow through.

I should concentrate on keyboard - I did follow through, more or less, but I've been slacking off for ages.

Peter

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:26:18 am »
Peter, don't beat yourself up about not continuing the course. You have to be proud of yourself that you tried it. It just didn't do anything for you.

Last year I signed up for an exercise class. I thought I could meet some older people and get a little fitter at the same time. I realized I couldn't keep up with the class after one session. I cancelled the class and got the money back. I didn't feel bad about it. It just wasn't for me.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:29:37 pm »
Hello Peter. There have been times in my life when I dropped out of more courses than I've completed. (honestly) I'm a bit better now, only because I've learned to be a bit more selective about what I take on. 

Of course my wife has learned over the years that I can sometimes take on too much and she has learned to gently counsel me on some things.  She has learned to use such words of wisdom as" there is no ******** way that I'm paying for that ***** course, you'll never complete it"  Or something similar LOL. Take Care. paul m