Author Topic: Dancing  (Read 11891 times)

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dancing
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:12:04 am »
Hello Grizzly. I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I love the quite at the bottom of your posts. For anyone who hasn't read it  "Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat"  . I'll admit to growing up in farm country, but I never tried to dance with a goat, however I can imagine that it is difficult and that your partner would be fairly stubborn about taking the lead  LOL. Much like depression Anyways I like it. Take Care. paul m

GrizzlyMantooth

• just trying to find a balance
    • View Profile
Re: Dancing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
Hey Paul. yeah I had a good laugh when I first read it. I also grew up in farm country, even herding goats and cows are a pain, I imagine dancing is a little tricky :) If anyone is interested it's from a book called Noonday Demon, which I read recently and found that it has helped me deal with a lot of shame I was feeling working in academia.
"Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat" - Andrew Solomon

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:14:35 am »
Hello Grizzly. Thx for the name of that book, I had a look at the reviews and it looks pretty interesting, I'll have to try and get a copy. Take Care. paul m

Hello Everyone. The MDAO had a book called dancing in the rain. The rest of the quote goes " Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain". That pretty much sums up my feeling about living with a mental illness. 

The book was a collection of personal stories and some of those stories can be found at :  http://mymentalhealthmap.com/MDAO/Login.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1   and click on personal stories near the top right.

Any one else out there got any interesting quotes Take Care. paul m

Iambluetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:15:44 am »
Paul,

Do I see a story in there from a familiar "face"?  ;) 

As well as story lines that ring true. Thanks for sharing the book title Grizz as well as the link, Paul.

GrizzlyMantooth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:41:47 am »
thanks for the link paul, this quote in the story really struck a cord with me personally as I always overthink what I've said or done around people:

"If my wife left me, or if my friends didn’t talk to me, I was still going to have the illness so I had better learn, maybe not to enjoy the illness, but to enjoy my life again."

"Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat" - Andrew Solomon

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:15 pm »
Thanks GrizzleMantooth for the name of the book Noonday Demon. I am going to look it up.  I checked out the link that you put out Paul for my mentalhealthmap.com.
I have registered for this.

I realize there is a story there that refers to a certain person.

Paul I am not totally sure how the map works. I have to look into it more. I am very tired right now. That does not help me with thinking straight.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:07:25 am »
Hello Iam bluetoo. Yes there is a familiar face, but all of the stories are interesting, many more so than my own.I know about half of the people and they are all great people who have came through some amazing struggles. Thx for noticing. Take Care. paul m

Hello Dragonfly. In order to read the stories you don't have to register or anything, you can just click on the link and then click on personal stories. MAO can be helpful to some, others not so much, but the stories are a good read. Take Care. paul m

NeitherHereNorThere

• ...don't let me get me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 07:00:44 pm »
Hi all,

Speaking of dancing....  I read the book 'The Dance of Anger' by Dr. Harriet Lerner (first published in 1985).  It was the starting point to helping me understand the chaos in my life.  It wasn't until I re-read the book many years later, that I realized my part in the chaos continuing and it was like a light bulb came on.  Unfortunately, I wasted sooo many years trying to change everyone so that (in my eyes) we could all just be happy.  How arrogant of me.  I don't know why I ever thought that I had the answers or that much control.  I must say, that once I worked on letting go of the "I'll always be there for you and pick you up when you're down" mentality; positive things began to happen (slowly).

This quote is an oldie and it's one of my favourites.

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

Take good care everyone!
If you can't handle it when I'm at my worst, then you don't deserve me when I'm at my best.

GrizzlyMantooth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 04:26:37 pm »

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 06:40:23 am »
Hello NeitherHereNorThere. Sounds like a good book . I found it very hard to acknowledge my part in the treatment of my mental illness. However I came to understand that it was MY mental illness and that I had better learn to deal with it and other people.

I continue to fight to educate others about mental illnesses, but first of all I had to educate myself. Take Care. paul m