Author Topic: New here...  (Read 7372 times)

kyas

• View Profile
New here...
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:27 am »
Just want to say thank you for having this forum of support.  I live with dysthymia (chronic mild-moderate depression), as well as post traumatic stress disorder (anxiety disorder with other symptoms such as somatization, flashbacks, insomnia, etc.)

I have had a lot of help to deal with my m.h.  I have recently clued in to the fact that I have been stigmatized by most people in my life.  It has taken me many years to become aware of this.  I had thought that I was doing things "wrong", that I was not "enough", and that I must somehow be causing people to exit my life.   It is a huge relief to me to realize that is STIGMA...not me personally!!

Not to say that I like being stigmatized...but it feels better to know that it is a generalized reaction people have to people who are sufffering from chronic illness..mental and /or physical.

I look forward to participating in the discussions on MDAO.

Again...thank you all for being there.
kyas

GrizzlyMantooth

• just trying to find a balance
    • View Profile
Re: New here...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:07:50 pm »
Hey kyas!

Welcome to the group. I am pretty new myself but am always able to talk or listen if you need an ear, just pm me. I understand what you mean by having others treat you as your label and it took me a long time to even get help because of it. I do research on ethics of illness and the effects on identity in academia and it was a hard decision to come out and decide to use the label at all. There are good and bad things that come from it. But just know that you are not alone!

I look forward to getting to know eachother better.

Marco
"Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat" - Andrew Solomon

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:19:53 am »
Hello Kyas and welcome. Please feel free to ask questions, answer other people's questions and/or use the forum to vent out a few of life's frustrations.  Having dysthymia must be difficult. Everybody that I know that has it, has had a lot of problems trying to get people(including doctors) to understand just how they feel. Take Care. paul m

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 07:37:07 am »
Hi Kyas!

Welcome to the Forum! I am not on much but I wanted to welcome you and say glad you are here! This forum has been very helpful to me and I hpe you will find it helpful to you too! Everyone is very supportive!

- Soozan
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?