Author Topic: Which meow should I adopt?  (Read 32268 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
Which meow should I adopt?
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:11:52 am »
http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adopt-a-pet/cats

don't find long haired cats appealing.....not because of shedding.
 Same with orange, but I would take one.

I hope to get an older one, but not like 14-16 years old.

Someone told me to get a male, because they're more.......?.........I forget....never heard of that.

Problem....walking me up at odd hours.....but that's life.

I have tiny apt, if the cat is used to a housel.,,,,,,,

But my tin apt has lots of nooks and crannies.....toys that light up.... I'm getting a bunch of toy robots at The Source (formerly Radio Shack. Only six bucks each. They have a swimming robot that I would but in a container of water - that'll make the cat curious.

There are pairs of cats than can't be separated.......no prob, but my tiny apt.......

Peter

It wouldn't be bored around here!

Ordering some cat DVD's from Amazon....DVD's of birds, squirrels....

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: Which meow should I adopt?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:39:12 am »
My cat is still very jumpy and jittery after all this time, but little improvements every week.

BTW, I've never had him on my lap.......I figure he'd get nervous and jump off...eventually.

Peter

GrizzlyMantooth

• just trying to find a balance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:38:25 pm »
Hey Peter,

I have two cats (1yr+2.5yr) in a one bedroom apartment and they are happy clams. The older one had a rough start being moved around a lot, someone even returned him before we adopted him. So he was always a little strung out, ever since we got the second cat he's almost a different cat, he's more relaxed, loves pets, and even jumps on your lap for affection. Stuff he never did before...he's even opening up his affection beyond me to other people. We also used a diffuser from the vets for awhile called Felliway. Not sure if you've heard of it but it's supposed to calm the kitties down when they are stressed out. It can be a little pricey though, we only use it now when we are away traveling.

I know you think you might not have room (still more space than in the shelter and its more about territory and toys to keep them busy than space) and it is also more money for food, litter, vet stuff, but having that second cat makes life a lot easier for you and the cat. I didn't really believe it when they kept saying that, but it's true. Once they are integrated properly (which took a month for us because the first cat was very territorial) they slowly become best buds and play with one another.

anyways yeah some cats like to cuddle a lot and some do not, just like people I guess...

Let me know if you ever want to talk cat stuff, I love talking about that kind of stuff!
"Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat" - Andrew Solomon

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:27:39 pm »
Hello Peter. Like GrizzlyMantooth said each cat is different. Our sole remaining cat (we have had many over the yrs) is still jittery. She is about 8 yrs old,but we've had her since she was 1 day old. (her mother was a stray who gave birth on our doorstep and died)

My wife, literally, was the only mother that cat has ever known , but it's still jittery and won't sit on her knee, much less mine. She will sit near you and if you pet her for 30 seconds every 15 minutes she will stay there all night purring most of the time.

We had another cat that loved to sit on you, but hated to be petted.  All cats are a little weird, which is why I prefer dogs, but cats are generally much easier to keep as pets. Good Luck with your cat. Take Care. Paul M

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:36:12 am »
I love cats  :)

We have 2 that are brother and sister. A petite female who will chase a bat around the house and a nervous large male who will hide from that bat. We have video of a small white bunny we were bunny sitting chasing the male around the basement. Hilarious!

They both drink water by dipping their paw in the bowel, then licking their paw. The male will take his food out of the bowl, carry it to a few different spots in the house, then sit and eat it at that spot. You never know where you'll find cat food.

When we first got the cats the female showed love and attention constantly to us and to anyone who entered our home. The male was very aloof, kept to himself, and wouldn't grace anyone with lap sitting. Over time, while still loving, the female spends a bit more time to herself. The male now occasionally will lap sit, but the nice part is he comes around a lot more for affection and to socialize quite often.

Given the personality of our male cat at the beginning and how he's evolved into a much more relaxed and loving kitty, hopefully your kitty will be less jittery and a lap cat over time (if that's what you want), Peter  :)

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:38:26 am »
Interesting cats!  A lot of people don't realize bunnies can be housebroken, and stay in the house like other pets.

Another improvement - today, he laid on the bed for the second time ever....no particular reason.
He did the same thing last week to get a closer look at the cat DVD I was playing.

take care......Peter

Yes, I want a lap cat......with time....

Daniel F

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 12:11:21 pm »
Here's a pretty good book I bought to help me understand my cats more: http://www.amazon.ca/Think-Like-Cat-Well-Adjusted-Cat-Not/dp/0143119796

Iambluetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:31:50 am »
Congrats on your new furbaby. It's adjustment for both of you. Give it some time and Enjoy.  ;D

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:16:19 am »
Daniel, thanks for the tip.  I'm ordering that book - raising an animal isn't intuitive - you need research/a book.
He's been vomiting lately, but nothing serious.  BTW, there could be many reasons for that, including hairballs in the stomach.  He gets the odd hairball - I couldn't tell what they were at first.

Peter

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
If he's constantly sick or whatever......that'll make me depressed, and I'll have to return him......which is even more depressing.

Peter

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 12:42:14 pm »
Hi Peter,

I too like Peace have 2 cats that are brother and sister. My female cat, Cindal is very small. Under 10 lbs. The male, Wicket is probably around10 lbs. or less.

Cindal is very curious and smart. She is more outgoing and will go up to people. She is very active and playful. Neither Cindal & Wicket will stay on my lap for very long. They both prefer to stand on me to be petted. They are both very loving. 3 yrs. old. Wicket gets scared more easily and has to really trust a person before he goes up to them.

Love having my cats around. So interesting to watch them.

My two daughters have a female cat. She vomits every now and again. It doesn't seem to effect her. I have heard that some cats do this from time to time and it is nothing to worry about.

Just give it some time Peter. I am sure your cat will come around. You have an older cat right. He might take longer to get used to you and his surroundings.

Have a good time with your cat. They give unconditional love.

Dragonfly

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 09:38:14 am »
I took over feeding our cats, Peter, when they were vomiting a lot. I clean their cat bowls frequently, rinse a lot to ensure all dish soap is rinsed out of their bowls, and am feeding them less food then what they were being fed. They were vomiting at least 3 or 4 times a week before, and now rarely vomit.

Hoping at all works out!

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:14 am »
Hello Peter. One thing that we found helped our cats when they were throwing up a lot of hairballs was to let them like a tablespoon of margarine every few days for a week. It seemed to help them pass the hair balls out the other end if you know what I mean. Take Care. paul m

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 01:42:00 am »
Some dry cat foods, and even one brand of snacks you can get can help with hairballs.....which don't look at all like balls, btw.

His extreme shyness does wear me down....I'll have to play games with him more, and try putting him on the cat window perch I installed.

Maybe I mentioned this - when he makes me depressed, I've thought of returning him, but that would be even more depressing.
Sometimes I feel sorry for him.  He gave me a very forlorn "meow" when I got home - bothers me.  Maybe my interpretation of "forlorn" is wrong.

I leave the radio on for him when I'm out, and sometimes the TV - I have some cat DVD's I sometimes play for him....sometimes he's interested, sometimes not.

Peter

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 01:45:09 am »
I took him to the vet re vomiting.

Not such a big deal, and it could be from changing his food.

BTW, cats eat cat grass to vomit or expel baddies in their stomach on purpose.
They can't digest cat grass......and they may also use it as a laxative....interesting.

Mine doesn't react to catnip, btw - not all cats do.

Peter