Author Topic: "Emergency Nap Syndrome"  (Read 11576 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
"Emergency Nap Syndrome"
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:36:56 am »
"Emergency Nap Syndrome" - borrowing one of Paul M,'s expression.... When you have a nap NOT on purpose, when you're depressed or anxious.

I had one tonite.

I'm getting a cat....but I wanna clean up/tidy up first in case it hides under the bed....or similar.

Anyway, I have a lot of tidying up to do.....  I was going to do a ton tonite, but I felt really drowsy all of a sudden, and HAD to take a nap.  No thoughts were going through my head...I just had to nap.

If I tell someone how long I've been putting off adopting a cat because of not tidying up......embarrassing!
 :-[  I wouldn't tell anyone that.

The unconscious/subconscious (?) reason I keep putting this off - getting a cat is a change in routine/lifestyle......especially maybe sleeping routines, since cats can have non human sleep schedules....LOL

Peter

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: "Emergency Nap Syndrome"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:17:30 pm »
Hi Peter,

Before my husband passed away we both said no more cats. We wanted to travel. Now that I am by myself I adopted 2 cats from the humane society in my city. It is one of the best things I did. I was going to get one cat that was a few years old thinking I was a senior and that is what I could handle. My son and two daughters went with me. I ended up with two kittens, 3 months old. A brother and sister. Getting two was great because they play and keep each other company. They are such great company. Fun to watch some of their antics. The female cat will put her little paw on me when I am sad. Believe me Peter my place is by no means neat and tidy. They do not keep me up at night. They usually sleep together in a chair. I could go on and on. I love cats and so does my family. (my cats are almost 3 years old now and I have never regretted getting them.)

It is no sin to have a nap. I have been having a nap most afternoons for at least over ten years. I nap probably at least an hour. More or less as to how tired I am. If I don't have the nap I turn into a monster.

Getting a cat or cats who gives you unconditional love keeps your thoughts off of your troubles.

I know I am very enthusiastic. You have to do what is right for you.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:49 pm »
Hello Peter. I'm not a big cat person, but my wife is. We have a number of cats over the years and, even though I like dogs better, cats are fine too. They are also easier to look after than dogs, especially if you have to go away for a few days.

BTW, if you do get a cat, you don't have to give it milk to drink, the cat will get along just fine with water. This makes it easier if you have to leave it at home for a few days. The water doesn't go sour and all you have to do is leave it some fresh litter and a good supply of kibble. Take Care. paul m

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:03:01 am »
Thanks, guys.  I aim to go to the Human Society to fill out a form next week.

I've already got empty boxes, paper bags, and a tunnel from Dollarama for it to play with.

Getting a cat or cats who gives you unconditional love keeps your thoughts off of your troubles.
   :)

Peter

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:06:27 am »
Dragonfly.....I was just testing the Instant Messaging here....not sure if it worked.
All I said was "meow meow" anyway.

Peter

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:01:09 pm »
BTW, if you do get a cat, you don't have to give it milk to drink, the cat will get along just fine with water. This makes it easier if you have to leave it at home for a few days. The water doesn't go sour and all you have to do is leave it some fresh litter and a good supply of kibble. Take Care. paul m

Further to that ... contrary to popular belief milk is NOT good for cats .. unless they are newborn kittens then they sell kitten milk for that but that is only if they were taken from their mom too young .. 6-8 wk old kittens are better off with water .... cows milk is not good for cats

Just a note :)
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 10:18:13 pm »
Peter meow, meow to you too.

I was also going to say that milk is not good for cats.

Peter don't make the mistake that I made with my first two cats. Don't feed them human food. If they become overweight it can lead to diabetes. No matter how much they want your food don''t give it to them. Stick to dry food and water. (I never give them wet food as advised by my vet). If you start giving them your food they will be bothering you and begging for it all the time.

Different cats like different toys. The cat will love what you already bought for it.

The humane society let my family and I go in a room with the cat that we thought I might want. It helps to see if you connect with each other.

Purr, purr. Good luck with adopting a cat.

Dragonfly

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 09:54:30 pm »
Hi, S.....I knew that - same with cream.

The last few years of its life our last cat ONLY ate liver - spoiled! - my father worked in a butcher store.
Too much liver is toxic to cats.

Peter

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 09:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the tips, Dragonfly.  I'm semi-vegetarian, and don't cook so much (I eat odds n' ends, but healthy).  Anyway the cat may not like my food.

My two younger brothers live together, and it seems like they ONLY eat Indian food.  I love Indian too, but tolerate the heat less and less.....if they had a cat...LOL

Peter

Daniel F

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:30:38 pm »
I have two cats, who I consider to be both sources of support and "wellness tools."

In terms of "emergency naps," there are times that I absolutely am mentally exhausted and just need to sleep, which is usually at night time/bedtime. I find if I nap during the day it messes up my sleep/wake cycle for that night. However, there are times when I do nap and other times when I really want to, sometimes to avoid doing something stressful - I try to push through those times and just make a start at addressing whatever the stressful thing is. For example, if it's a sink full of dishes, and I convince myself to do "just one" or "just for five minutes," I usually end up getting the whole task done.