Author Topic: Work life remains a hot mess  (Read 9112 times)

JennyRN70

• View Profile
Work life remains a hot mess
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:15:03 pm »
HI everyone - well for those of you you know me you know that I am a nurse and I have struggled with this career - but let's not fool anyone - since I started my first job as a teenager I have never really been able to keep myself employed for a long period of time - the longest period being in my 20's for almost 4 years - I am so sad and frustrated because I did find a great position that was low stress and monday to friday that paid fairly well and I got laid off 2 months in - not for anything I did but because of lack of work...anyway as I sit now I tried to go to work as a contract nurse in the ER on Saturday and had a full blown panic attack while I was there - so it looks like I can't even do it once in a while - my days as an ER nurse are over - which is fine - I just want something that is low stress and no shifts - office job with data entry or something like that - so that is where I am these days - oh and not likely eligible for ODSP as my spouse makes 6 figures but pays his ex wife almost 3/4 of it :(

Rich

• View Profile
Re: Work life remains a hot mess
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:45:56 pm »
Hi Jenny!

I totally understand your work challenges.

Have you considered working as a nurse in a nursing home?  The residents aren't too demanding, and nothing there should be too stressful, since I'm sure most of the residents there are "do not resuscitate"!  The only challenge might be avoiding the midnight shift.

I hope this helps!

Rich

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 01:27:35 am »
Hi, Jenny.....Good advice from Rich, and...... one full blown panic attack doesn't necessarily mean more of them?
I'll bet other people in the ER have had panic attacks.

take care....Peter

JennyRN70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:32:50 pm »
Hi Peter and Rich - well as far as LTC - that hits my depression button - I focus on death and dying in that environment and as to whether I am going to end up in that same spot when I am old - and the panic attack hasn't been the first one I have had in the ER but I made the decision after Saturday that I am done - like I said a data entry position would be a good fit.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:25:52 pm »
Hi JennyRN70,

I empathize with you on the stress of work.

My daughter is going through a very stressful time because of her work. Her boss and higher ups are very demanding. They actually bully her at work. No matter how hard she works it is a no win, win situation. My daughter is tired of working overtime, etc. I could relate more. I think you are getting the picture. She is fed up and does not want to live this way.

She is going to look for another job. My daughter says their is no point in living this way. She is getting burnt out and actually becoming physically sick.

Don't beat yourself up about your job situation. Do what is right for you.

Dragonfly

momfellinglost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »
I know how hard it is have you thought about applying for CPP? You have paid into it and if I am not mistaken and I am sure some one will say if I am wrong you can work but they restrict how much you can make. If you do apply and they reject your claim they seem to reject most of them the first go around. I know that I have a relative who applied and was rejected twice but appealed twice and then was accepted.