Author Topic: Met a very caring person today  (Read 7776 times)

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Met a very caring person today
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:49 pm »
I took a taxi to my appointment at the out patient clinic at my local hospital.

The taxi driver and I started talking. He commented that I had a nice car and rv sitting on my driveway. I told him I was afraid to drive to the hospital. I told him that my husband always used to drive me places but he had passed away from cancer 3 1/2 years ago. The taxi driver told me he had immigrated from Ethiopia. His wife wanted to move here. He was in accounting in Ethiopia. He took a job here at the regional office in accounting. The work was very stressful for him. So stressful that he had a stroke. He could not do that type of work anymore so he became a taxi driver. He likes this country but he doesn't like the fast pace which causes stress. He liked the simpler life in Ethiopia. Wishes he could go back there and live in a hut, grow his own food and hunt. Of course, he is probably only looking at the good side of things there. The taxi driver said there was hardly any cancer, heart attacks there. I don't know if this is really true. Canada with all its lakes and land should not have any poor people.
I told him that my daughter is an accountant and is extemely stressed right now. His story about stress struck me as paralleling to a certain extent what my daughter is going through right now.

My family is a camping family. Sometimes I wish we could be more like that. Go places. Do with less material things. Work less and enjoy life more. Why have we become such a work oriented society? My father always used to say, "People after the almighty dollar".

These facts that the taxi driver related were only his opinion. He was a very interesting person to talk to and very caring.

Very special day meeting him.

Dragonfly

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
Re: Met a very caring person today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 06:49:02 am »
Sounds like an interesting ride!
Love is the reason!

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
Re: Met a very caring person today
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:47 pm »
I think its more of a "western world mentality" rather than just Canada. We are literally being forced into work from a survival mode. If we want a better life and to have to relax or have a nice place to live then we have to work twice as hard for it these days.. its sad.

We are making less money and working twice as hard! And they wonder why people are having strokes and heart attacks! It's the stress that is doing it to us. No wonder more and more too are suffering from mental illnesses as well .. there is only so much one can take!

My last breakdown was the worst I ever had and that was a result of working 16 hour days for months ( I worked from home so there was no relief ) I was slower at graphics than most people so it took me longer than the average person .... plus I had a stressful contract. Of course I went manic from lack of sleep, I don't know how I survived literally! I also had my heart checked out in 2011 and the arteries were beginning to harden. After a year or two of no stress they actually bounced back and the heart doctor gave me a clean bill of health so I was lucky, most are not. So in the long run, the breakdown saved my physical life!

- Soozan
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?