Author Topic: swearing  (Read 8768 times)

Dragonfly

• View Profile
swearing
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:51:14 pm »
I remember when I was in highschool if you uttered the word "f**k you were immediately sent to the principal's office. I was probably in highschool about 50 years ago. Things have dramatically changed.

I find now that when I get angry or frustrated the swear words flow. Being manic sometimes I guess does not help the inappropriate language.
My youngest brother says I have pottie mouth  then.

This swearing is not a constant thing with me. To call someone a b*t*ch or ba*t*rd or use the f**k, sh*t or other words is not very intelligent. Sometimes it feels so good though. Believe I hardly ever use this language around people (excluding bouts of mania). I use it more around my immediate family. Not generally at them.

Curious! Anyone else have comments on this?

Fuddle Duddle the famous words of Pierre Trudeau in parliament.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: swearing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 02:32:49 am »
Hello Dragonfly. As society changes the use of certain words change. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. New words enter our language and bad words may be less important. By the same token, common words may become obnoxious.

For example, 30 yrs ago, google was not a word, 60 yrs ago, people were getting their mths washed out with soap for saying damn and 100yrs ago idiot was the common word for someone who was mentally challenged. 125 yrs ago, nigger was not a derogatory term, it was merely the slurring of the word negro, and eventually nigger became derogratory word.

At age 10 I had never heard of the term first nations people and I doubt if most first nations people had heard of that word themselves at that time(1964). Also main stream actors like John Wayne must of killed 1000's of injuns or murdering redkins, bucks ectduring his movie career. All of which are taboo now

By the same token swearing has crept into our society. In 1964 if someone had said F**K in front of my mother, then my father would have forced them to apologize or made them leave our house(or both). I now have bro-in-laws that use the word F**K in every sentence and would be tongue tied if they couldn't use it.

Society also tends to have a double standard, men tend to be allowed to swear a bit more than women.

I, myself, have to watch how much profanity that I use as it is easy to slip into a habit of using it on a regular basis.  I facilitate a group and I have problems trying to persaude people not to swear heavily. They are not bad people, they are just used to swearing a lot.   

While I don't approve of swearing I sometimes have trouble avoiding it myself,so I am not going to judge. Take Care. paul m

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:21:38 am »
You are. Not alone dragonfly I find myself swearing quite a bit especially the  f word but never around my parents who would have a conniption fit lol
Love is the reason!

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:19 am »
I grew up in a family that did not swear. As a teen if I uttered the odd swear word I was shocked with myself. Today with the teens it can be every 3rd word out of their mouths. I actually just thought of that recently, that my parents never swore, and I'm grateful to them for that.

Having said that, when I'm stressed I don't think before I speak and swear quite a bit. We have a swear list on our fridge. When someone swears they get a tick and eventually will have to pay 5 cents. I'm in 2nd place :p

I spent a few days at my sisters last week. I didn't swear once. Proof to me that when I swear it's stress related.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 01:41:31 pm »
Thank you Paul, LuckyLou and Peace for your replies. They mean so much to me.

Paul I really like how you described the different era's and how swearing has evolved.

As I said in my post I don't generally swear. I am trying to watch myself when I want to. Isn't always easy.

I dislike it very much when people use swear words on facebook and otherwise. My son and brother-in-law seem to use it in just about every sentence.

When I lived at home no one swore in my family. The odd time my father would say f**k. My sister would say you have just come from work. My Dad would apologize then.

It is amazing how people usually don't swear when they are around people who don't like it.

Dragonfly