Author Topic: Employment / Volunteer opportunities, and others experiences  (Read 8428 times)

messee

• View Profile
Employment / Volunteer opportunities, and others experiences
« on: February 10, 2015, 01:34:19 pm »
Hey all,

I'm presently on LTD (6 mos), very much hoping to get back into the workforce, scared silly of the prospect.  Can't really go back to the old job.

Anyone have any suggestions on where there are volunteer opportunities (daytime) that aren't super-stressful and aren't super-competitive to get into?

Anyone have any encouraging stories about getting back to work after MD episode?

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: Employment / Volunteer opportunities, and others experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:25 pm »
Hi messee,

I am afraid I can't help you much. I am retired now. I can't really volunteer due to my health.

Hope you find some answers.

Dragonfly

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:29:18 am »
Hi.  Messe I don't live in your area so don't know what volunteer opportunities might be available. I have returned to work after being off at least once per year for the last 7 years, it's not easy but it can be done.  I wish I had something encouraging to say but everyday is still a struggle for me. My advice is to find something you like to do and to start back slowly like maybe part time to start. It won't feel like work then. I've been fortunate to be able to return to my same job every time I have been off. I wish you luck
Love is the reason!

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:01:46 am »
Hi Messee, in my experience, I had to restart my life many times as I was in denial of my illness and had a few major manic episodes. I started small and worked my way up. I had waitressing experience, so I was able to start waitressing part time. telling my employers that I was "saving to go back to school" or made something up... in order for me to validate why I was taking a job that was a drop down from my resume's job history... by law you never have to divulge about your mental health history... I was a graphic artist and it was a very stressful vocation. I also did some babysitting and odd jobs until I was sick of doing that and was eager to get back to work ..... it does happen,  you just need to give it time ...

After a really bad episode, my last one, when I finally did accept my diagnosis, A good friend of mine said "there is help out there... just go get it" .. so I got some counselling through a local clinic and they helped me to find programs to help me get back my confidence, which is how I found progress place, and it gave me the confidence to start getting up in the morning and to realize that i could get back in the game again .... there are also other work programs and other jobs, volunteer opportunities, that you can find that can steer you in the direction of, progress place also has case managers there that can help you get started towards a new life.

I am sorry if it seems I am shoving progress place down your throat but it is a good place to go until you get your bearings, it was a life changer for me. but that is just one person's experience, it was mine and you asked people to share their stories.

I wish you all the best, I know its not easy but I have faith in  you that you will find your way! We are here to cheer you on! Time is the biggest healer.

- Soozan
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?

messee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:10:26 pm »
Thanks Soozan.  I have been through a similar cycle.  I've been on medication for fifteen years for depression,  think it stopped working; through half a dozen therapists..... 

So now 46 and will totally not get as good a job as I had last.

Will definitely check in at Progress Place and see what I can sort out.

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:03:30 pm »
Yes that's the hard part, losing a good job, however there are more jobs out there, I firmly believe in the adage, when one door closes another door opens. I have faith that you will find your way.

I had to have a lot of determination, I was 50, I agree at that age, its hard to find work, especially when you are depressed, but you have to give yourself time to heal. That's where progress place helped me. I am a graphic artist and am lucky that I can work from home.. I am slowly getting back into work now with some clients but I keep it to a stress level that I can handle.

I wish you much success! I am glad you are a part of our community!

- Soozan
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?