Author Topic: My son is going to see a mediator  (Read 6886 times)

Dragonfly

• View Profile
My son is going to see a mediator
« on: February 08, 2015, 01:13:26 pm »
For some of you that don't know my daughter-in-law and my son are separating. Suddenly she wanted out of the marriage. My daughter-in-law is

having an affair. My son and his wife have two kids, an 8 yr. old girl and 5 yr. old boy.

My son's wife will not talk to him. My son is making an appointment for a mediator. Before he signs any separation papers he will see a lawyer.

Can anyone tell me what a mediator is or does?

I feel like I am constantly on this forum talking about my troubles. I know other people have problems too.

Dragonfly

Rich

• View Profile
Re: My son is going to see a mediator
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 02:54:32 pm »
Hi Dragonfly,
a mediator is someone you goto when the divorce will be a smooth one.  You and your-soon-to-be-ex (STBX) have agreed to dissolve the marriage without conflict.  These mediated discussions will ideally lead to "binding arbitration", where each party has to follow the decisions that are made.  This will be much cheaper than lawyers and court costs.

I hope this helps!

Rich

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: My son is going to see a mediator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:44:51 pm »
Rich,

I have never experienced someone separating from their spouse especially so close to me.

Thank you for the information. I do hope that things will go amically for him. As you say I guess there will be a cost for the mediator but cheaper than lawyers or court costs.

My daughter-in-law has told my son that she wants child support and not alimony. He says if he has to pay both he might as well go on welfare. My son has a much larger income. She only has a part time low paying job. I am not putting her down for that.

Dragonfly