Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 134223 times)

Daniel F

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Introductions
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:55:44 pm »
We got a great suggestion about having an introductions thread, so here it is! Feel free to introduce yourself/say a little bit about yourself in this thread.

I'm Daniel, administrator and sometimes moderator of this forum, and I'm also a peer support worker at the MDAO. I enjoy movies, good TV shows, listening to and making hip hop music, playing with my two cats (although I am still a dog person at heart!), and when I am feeling like doing something active I like biking, Ultimate Frisbee, skiing, and stuff like that.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 09:50:01 pm »
I go by the name of Dragonfly. I love spending time with my family. Going camping is a big one on my list. I like reading and doing crafts. Like Daniel I like playing with my two cats. Nature. Watching birds, animals, looking at plants. I like my computer. Researching, playing games, this forum. Gardening. Watch such shows as the Amazing Race, American Idol, Jeopardy. Movies.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:44:19 am »
Hello Everyone.  People like Dragonfly, Daniel and everyone else on this forum are pretty nice people. We've all had our fair share of problems (to say the least :) ) . Some of us(all perhaps) still have some sort of struggle with our lives, some are better (as in more well) than others and some are watching and trying to help loved ones. Some can work and some can't. Overall everybody is pretty understanding, which is why I'm still posting on a MDAO forum after 10yrs.

Myself, I've had a lifelong struggle with bipolar, anxieties and other problems, both mental and physical. Some of my life has been bliss and some has been a living hell.  Sometimes I've been lucky as heck and other times I couldn't win a lottery if I was the only one entered.

In the past, my illness, has caused me to create a lot of  heartache for a lot of people. I also rec'd a lot of help over the years from anonymous strangers who passed on tips on how to get better. So as I can no longer work, I do a lot of volunteering, partly because of the satisfaction helping others gives me and partly to help keep kicking a few skeletons to the  back of the closet :).

I 've been married for 38 yrs (yes to only one woman!) and have 2 kids and a grandchild and my one son also has bipolar and some physical challenges.

I've been a professional and at times my illness(es) have caused me to be almost a professional bum.  I enjoy the outdoors, reading, and so may different things that I haven't even turned on my TV in over a year. (except to watch the occasional DVD).

Depending on who you ask,I'm reasonable stable these days. I'll never be well, but I really enjoy life and that wasn't always so.

I'm definitely a dog person, but we currently also have a cat.  I tend to be a bit wordy, but I'm pretty friendly (these day  :) )

I've been doing things with or for the MDAO for 20+ yrs now and I can tell you that they are a pretty good organization and if anyone reading this has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We on the forum, do not have all of the answers, but we can listen, sympathize, sometimes point you in the right direction and above all, you'll know you are not alone. Take Care. paul m

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:46:04 am »
Hi I am. Lucky for a number of reasons but mostly because I'm still alive! I had a breakdown about 6 years ago when I was formally diagnosed as bipolar and having an anxiety disorder. This is when I first stumbled across this forum and boy have I come a long way since those early days! I have been with my partner for almost nineteen years and I am so lucky that he has stuck by me through all the craziness. I am still learning about this illness and this forum has saved me a number of times and I am grateful for the friends I have made here.i  too have a cat who has social anxiety too lol I have had periods where I have been unable to work and I am. Working now but barely hanging by a thread. I am an open book so feel free to ask questions or pm me anytime!
Love is the reason!

DeterminedJay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:47:22 am »
Hey MDAO, my name is Jason. I don't want to put a name on whatever I have because it has no power over my life except the power I give it... But in my past I have suffered from a depression with symptoms that correlate to ADHD. But moving on, I am a huge believer in science and the power of computers and I put a majority of my energy into designing and thinking about ways with which it can be used to further benefit our species.

I am either very goal oriented and driven to the point of absolute obsession, or a hermit who doesn't want to leave a room let alone the house. I aim to balance it out, but my diet is directly related to the way my mind functions...

I love video games, I love food, I can cook decently, and I love to love.

You may see me as a space case, a brilliant mind or a complete nut. But I have trained myself so that whenever anyone puts me down it just makes we work harder to be better than I was yesterday. Not for them, not for anyone except myself and my future.

Thank you for welcoming me to this community, I feel as though being here is essential to my well-being.

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 03:49:13 pm »
Hi There! I am Soozan, I joined this board in 2011 and found it very helpful at one of the worst times in my life, and it helped me get through some very painful times, with the support of this very kind and thoughtful group!

I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 many years ago but was in denial until 2011 when I finally accepted my diagnosis and committed to taking a regular regimen of medication and seeing my psychiatrist regularly. Since then my life has taken some wonderful turns!

I met my husband Rich on this forum and then in person at a "laughing like crazy" event where we all set up a get together so we could meet (in public of course) in person for those who could attend the event! After many months Rich and I finally had our first date and those on the board got to experience our love story blooming .... it was quite mushy and all! but does go to show that anything can happen on this board and good things can happen when one commits to taking care of their mental health.

I admit that I got lucky as well, but I worked hard at my recovery and that took determination, not luck. Finding Rich was the best thing that ever happened to me! Don't get me wrong, life isn't perfect, but I am better prepared for what life throws at me because of the work I did for my mental health and for reaching out to others like I did on this board.

OH and a little more about me .. I am a graphic designer, get quite busy so I don't visit here as often as I would like, but when I do I try to catch up with all the posts.

I am grateful for the helpful people that share their thoughts and feelings and struggles and celebrations on this board. Welcome to all those who visit here and I hope that all will feel as welcome and supported as I felt when I made my first post!

(others should know too that this is a new format forum and this forum has been going on for years but our old messages got wiped out so we don't have much of a history of posts here which is too bad... but we hope to make new memories here of helpful strategies for others who look back on earlier posts)

- Soozan
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:59:37 pm by Soozan »
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:17:53 pm »
Hi!

I wish I wrote as well as Soozan (my wife!), but she has the unfair advantage of being artsy, whereas I am a hard-core computer nerd (i.e.  I "code" more than I "write"!).  I was diagnosed with Bipolar II illness in 2006, and that was the year that I joined the MDAO forum.  Up until I received the diagnosis, I was only considered by people to be "weird" or "eccentric" or "strange"...but after the diagnosis, people 'promoted' me (?!?) to crazy, insane, whacko, etc.  I still find it all very funny, since I was on meds and stable when the labels changed.

For many years after the diagnosis, my life became harder.  But then I met Soozan!  Maybe two 'crazies' don't make a 'sane' person, but my life has improved dramatically since first meeting her.  She is truly the love of my life!  And can you imagine how nice it is not to be judged for having a mental illness???  Or having to explain it???  This was such an added bonus!  Being together is paradise!

Well, like most people, we try to be the best people that we can, and to enjoy life to the fullest!  During the summer you can find us in the pool.  During the summer, spring and fall we like to take walks.  We like to see movies if there are any good ones playing (we just saw "The Wedding Ringer" - it was funny!).  Doing the "food ride" is one of our favourite things to do, but we try to show restraint.  ;-)  We like 'real' food, not that rich-people pretentious crap.  I don't care if we only spend $10 --- good food is good food!  :-)  During the winter months, we try to get away for a night here and there in a hotel...but it must have a hot tub!  We also like to get lattes at Second Cup on cheapie Tuesday's.  Yes, we are thrifty, but we still have fun!

Okay, we still have our challenges, such as elder-care, the expense of putting two kids thru their post-secondary education, and the odd stress-induced mood swing or bout of anxiety.  But I must tell you that Soozan has turned my life around to the point that I feel 'normal' or at least our version of it!  ;-)  The people at work have noticed it too!

Rich
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:38:04 pm by Rich »

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:15:03 am »
I guess I haven't told much about myself. Just what I like to do. So here goes.

I suffer from bipolar II. In hindsight I know I have suffered from this illness since I was 12 years old. I wasn't diagnosed until I had my third and final child at the age of 30. I have had some very severe depressions to the point of being suicidal. Have also had periods of mania. Some of my moods were not helped by hormones. Puberty, having babies and a complete hysterectomy.

I am now 64 years old. It has been a long struggle. I am for the most part stable right now. I know my mental illness will never be cured.

I had a very wonderful, caring, supportive, loving husband. We just had our 39th wedding anniversary when he died (died is such a hard word to say - he passed away seems better) from cancer. It has been 3 1/2 years. I was scared I would go into a very severe depression. That didn't happen. Things have not been easy. I grieve for him. I know that will never stop.

I have 3 children and a daughter in law. My kids, daughter 38, son 35 and another daughter 33. Two wonderful grandchildren, a girl who is  8 and a boy 5 yrs. old. I adore them. My family has been very supportive of me. I don't know what I would do without them.

Besides my mental illness I also have other health problems. I try not to dwell on them and complain about them.

I have many limitations due to my health. I try to accept these. It is not always easy.

When I first joined this forum I was apologizing a great deal for my actions, etc. I learnt I didn't have to do this. This forum has helped me greatly and there are many friends here.

I have a very good supportive system from health professionals for all my health problems. I am very grateful for this.

I try to stay positive. For the most part I am friendly and caring of people. Something I have to work on is not being so judgemental of people.

Right now my son and daughter-in-law are having a hard time with their marriage. My son comes and confides in me. I tell him I can't take sides. I can be supportive of him though. I told him they need counselling. My son and daugher-in-law would lose so much if they split up. My two daughters also have their problems. As a parent you always worry about your children. I have to let things go though or I will get sick.

One thing I have learned is that you can't totally plan your life. Life thows unexpected curves.

I must admit that I am very wordy.

Dragonfly  :-*

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 09:58:03 am »
Hello everyone!  :)

My formal diagnosis are OCD, Agoraphobia, and Mixed-Mood Depression. I chose the name Peace because my OCD makes it so my mind never stops thinking and I crave peace. A good friend of mine recently said I remind her of watching t.v. with her brother because he channel surfs, and when I talk to people I change subjects constantly. It's very exhausting and very debilitating. To quote a song from the band Boston, all I want is to have my peace of mind.

I am married with two amazing children. I used to think of myself as mother of the year. I balanced a very stressful job with long hours, a long commute, and quality time with my family. I was very involved with my church, and with the Guiding system. Now I'm having a hard time coming to terms with my limitations, and my inability to be that person again.

My illness limits me greatly as to what I can do now. The obsessing and compulsions take up too much of my time, make it hard for me to think clearly, and leaving my home is extremely difficult. What I used to like to do is read, embroider, play in the snow (sledding, snowball fights, build snowmen), do sidewalk chalk, blow bubbles, volunteer at my church and volunteer for other causes that have meaning to me, and bake. I can still bake. I love nature and I love animals.

I am extremely thankful for this forum. There are a great group of people here who genuinely try to help each other and more importantly who understand. Thanks friends  :)

messee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:01:43 pm »
hey all,

I'm going by Messee . . .  male, married, mid 40s, one kid, not working presently (LTD).  I have had depression and impulsivity issues for 20 yrs+

Like Jason noted above, my issues are not unlike ADD-- manifests with brain fog, inattention, poor memory, lack of focus; also includes serious ruminative / obsessive thinking  and  in my case has at times led to intense suicidal ideation.

I find that being socially isolated makes things a lot worse for me, which has been increasingly an issue since I went off work.  Happy to hear from anyone who would like to connect more, or has suggestions for volunteer opportunities.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 12:09:45 am »
Hi Messee and welcome,

This is a great forum. It has helped me so much. I am afraid that I am not long on words right now. Post as much as you want. We are here for you.

Dragonfly

LuckyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 07:06:17 am »
Just wanted to say welcome messe!
Love is the reason!

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 02:19:24 am »
(Susan has 67 1/2 year old sisters? :-*)

Hi....Peter here..  I was very self conscious and anxious a lot of my life.  A lot of it faded away, thank goodness (I'm 68) in June.  I worked on my social phobia the last few years.  A lot of this runs in the family - I have 4 brothers, and my late mother was very anxious.

Years ago I was diagnosed with dysthymia, which means low-grade, long term depression.  My ex psychiatrist diagnosed me.  I had been seeing him for years, but two years or so, he "dropped" me, as I had only been seeing him twice a year lately.

Cognitive behaviour therapy, CBT helped me to try and combat/change negative thoughts.  I still carry the CBT forms with me sometimes....just in case.

I get depressed sometimes, but I often can't figure out what the trigger is.  Or "triggers?"

I take Wellbutrin XL, Cipralex and Clonazepam.

A previous Laughing like Crazy joke -
I've been taking meds a looong time!
I started on Gerbers Cipralex, then moved up to Flintstones Cipralex.
Now I take Cipralex Senior - it's an antidepressant and a laxative!

:P

I'm talking a Laughing like Crazier course now that leads up to a show in April.

I used to collect old stuff like radios, bottles, tins.  Now I mainly have tiny and miniature things...interesting rocks.

I'm known for bringing props to the Crazier classes support groups.  I have stuff like a phone from 1980, odd knickknacks like plastic clapping hands, a small electric megaphone that changes my voice into alien voices....doesn't work that well.

Was trying to learn ukulele....may switch back to keyboard.

Peter

mmarynuk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:11:46 pm »
Well as I have noticed others introducing themselves here is a go for me. My name is Michelle, I am 33 years old and was finally diagnosed with Bipolar type 1 when I was 31. I have had symptoms since I was 4 years old but was misdiagnosed. I started experiencing MAJOR tantrums at the age of 4 to the extreme of ripping doors off hinges and destroying things. I was extremely hyperactive and would barely sleep as well and I was diagnosed in 1987 with ADHD and was prescribed Ritalin which at the age of 9 almost killed me. The meds made my life worse at that point, it did not help with my attention span and I was still very aggressive and extremely hyper.

At 8 years of age in 1990 I was diagnosed as having Panic disorder with Agoraphobia and mine was on the severe end as I would NOT leave the house for anything. Under the instruction of my child psychiatrist I was admitted for 1 year into the child psychiatric center where I underwent Cognitive behavioral therapy, which only helped for awhile. I was still terrified of life and had a hard time functioning. I was depressed alot of the time but my doctor said it was a coping mechanism, Which now my new doctor knows that it was not and other things were going on. Into my teenage years I was out of control, I got into many fights and took off for days on end without a care. My mother at that point took a step back as she could not deal with me and I moved out at age 14.

I went many years between crazy behavior & severe depression but I was overlooked many times by doctors saying I was just being a typical "teen". When I was 30 I went through a major depression lasting 8 months and finally had enough and went to my personal family doctor who referred me to a great Psychiatrist who knew something was very wrong. By the time I got into see him I was in full blown mania and hearing voices, He observed me for awhile and went through my medical records and immediately knew from my history that was documented that I had Bipolar disorder and diagnosed me with Type 1. He also said that based on my history he could pin point that it started around the age of 4. He also said my misdiagnoses could be the cause of why I developed panic disorder and agoraphobia. Sorry for the long post, but I am finally ready to share and trust me this is the condensed version.

LuckyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 09:11:52 am »
Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum!
Love is the reason!