Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 134226 times)

GrizzlyMantooth

• just trying to find a balance
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 04:54:21 pm »
Hey Carly, sorry to hear of your troubles, but always remember you're not alone in them! It's good you have family there to support you, support from loved ones is something i cherish on my path of recovery I hope you find they do the same.

I've been attending the mdao groups in Toronto for a few months now and they have changed my life. I encourage you to give it a shot, it took me 6 months of saying this is going to be the week I'll go and have too much anxiety to get out the door, it takes a lot of courage to go to a group and put yourself out there...I get that. but now I look forward to going every week and feel amiss when I can't go.

As for the drugs it also took me a long time to get on board with them as I was under the misconception they would change who I was, and I've been taking them for a couple years now and found that they help but that they are really just a stepping stone to recovery. I know of others that have to try a few different kinds before they find the right fit for them. Try to hang in there! and feel free to pm me if you want to talk one on one. :)

"Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat" - Andrew Solomon

Carly

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 10:37:23 pm »
Thanks Grizzlymantooth. I think I will go to the support group next week, cause why not? And thanks Paulm for the kind words. I look forward to chatting with everyone more.

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 04:43:43 pm »
Hi .  I have Social Anxiety( since a young child ) , General Anxiety and Panic Disorder- (diagnosed in my 20s) .

I've been on a low dosage of 1.5mg upto 2mg of Clonazepam a day 15 + years.  I did work full time at same job for over 20 years .  My only sibling was killed in 2003 and I lost both my parents to Alzheimer's . I have no children because my grandfather was bi-polar and so was my sister and both had shock treatments when they were alive .  I have suffered all my life with Anxiety .. I did not want to pass it on to a child ..  So I have no family ..not even a niece or a cousin and it is really hard on me. 

I  recently went through a home invasion that was horrible . I tried to explain to my Dr. that I'm having a hard time being in my home alone since the invasion.   and she told me to "get over it"  . she made me feel invalidated and I already feel somewhat invisible  . I must have PTSD since that happened, as I can't function alone in the house,.every sound outside/ knock on the door and instant fear /terror..

I am so desperate for help .. I can't sleep and when I do fall asleep I wake up within a couple of hours with horrible panic attacks . I do not want to go back to my Dr.  as she made me feel so bad and I told her I could not sleep and not coping, but  she just seemed agitated and so dismissive of me !  I am also worried that I may not be able to find another GP  that will prescribe my Clonazepam.. as many Dr.s do not . I cannot just go off a med that I have been on  15 years due to withdrawl.  plus I cant get referral to a shrink as I can't go back to my Dr. and have her make me feel even more invalidated . I have asked around about Dr.s and so far no luck ?     Anyone know of a kind Dr that will understand that I have been on Clonazepam for years and can't just stop taking it ???

I have been trying to find help on my own and did manage to make it to mdao support group about a week or so ago . but because I have Social Anxiety Disorder too ...  I only made it half way through the group and then had to leave ( the rooms are small and the door was closed i felt very claustrophobic and anxious).

I am trying to build a support system in my life but so far nothing .   
 Sorry for rambling .. I am just a big mess with no Dr.  to talk to or anyone that understands .

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 01:16:59 am »
Hello Jackie. No problem with rambling, sometimes it's good to vent out some of life's problems. I'm afraid that I don't have any good suggestions that will work quickly for you.

Unfortunately trying to find a new doctor these days can be very difficult. To go through health connect or other gov't agency you have to resign your old doctor first. Sometimes you may see a sign that sez "taking new patients" , but that is probably rare in T.O. , another way is to phone your local hospital and ask about their family medicine resident’s practice, where you are treated by a resident under the supervision of a doctor. Examples of this are http://www.mountsinai.on.ca/care/fammed/new-patient-information  (scroll down near the bottom) and http://www.nygh.on.ca/Default.aspx?cid=1090&lang=1    although they too may ask that you resign your current doctor first.

In regard the mdao support meeting ,  I only made it part way through my first peer support meeting too, but nobody cared and I was always welcome back.

Depending on your financial well being, you may want to look at a psychologist to help you with your anxiety problems. They use talk sessions and therapy rather than medication to help people with their anxiety problems but they tend to be expensive and are not covered by OHIP. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 09:27:36 am »
Thank you Paulm,   You really did send me some helpful information .  I live close to North York General Hospital and clicked on the link you sent me ..   I have another refill on the Clonazepam and cannot afford to lose that refill , but will definitely contact them after i pick up my next refill end of April .. 

Thanks or letting me know that you had trouble also getting through your first MDAO meeting ..  sometimes it just helps to know someone else felt the same way I did .. 

I currently cannot afford a therapist  ..  That is why I need a new Dr  to get me a referral to see an Ohip covered pys doctor .     

Thank you for replying  and you really were helpful :)

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2016, 03:16:45 pm »
Hello:)  My name is Amanda.  I am a teacher and the divorced mother of three young adult daughters. I have bipolar disorder type 2 and OCD.  I go back and forth between doing just fine and really not doing fine (although I have not been in the true disaster zone for a few years since my medication was increased). I am glad to be on the group - I think it's a wonderful idea for people with mood disorders to support and encourage one another.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2016, 08:00:41 pm »
Hello Amanda and welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask questions, answer other people's questions and/or use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. We don't have all of the answers here, but we are friendly. Take Care. paul m

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2016, 09:48:17 pm »
Hi Amanda, As I have said in my other posts. Welcome.

Dragonfly

Sadkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2016, 12:02:11 pm »
Hi my name is Kayla and I just turned 26 not too long ago.  Sadkitty is a nickname I got in high school from my group of friends (it was one of many since there were multiple Kayla in my group of friends) I started having problems from a young age because of bullying.  No matter how many times I moved they seemed to just get worse and worse.  In high school things got really bad and I wanted so badly to reach out for help but the problem is I would have had to tell my family and I didn't want that added stress.  I wasn't until I was almost 23 that I decided to talk to my family doctor.  I've been on many different medications (thank goodness for health insurance) and after a while I started doing counselling.  I got to a point where I stopped taking my medication and just did the counselling for a while.  I stopped that after she decided to stop her private practice.  I went a few months with nothing and thought that I was okay.  Then unfortunately a few very negative events happened and I feel like I'm worse off then I was before which put me back into counselling last December.  When I first started all this I lost almost all my friends and was afraid of the medication.  Over the past few months I've slowly been getting better but I still feel like any small thing can set me off.  With everything with my doctor she labelled me as just having a general mood disorder but I feel like there is more to it.  I asked to be referred to a psychiatrist to be able to get a better diagnosis but that was several months ago and I've heard nothing. I'm almost at the point where I just want her to put me back on the last medication she had me on to see if that will help again.  I find that because of everything I find myself reverting and keeping to myself a lot more then I used to.  I was always kind of a introvert but I'm barely social anymore.

On a happier note though these are some things I enjoy music, photography, art, cooking, baking (I went to school for it), video games , pokemon go when I can get myself to leave my house and spending time with my littlest sister.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2016, 03:21:10 am »
Hello SadKitt and welcome. Please feel free to ask questions, answer other people`s questions and/or use the forum to vent off a few of life's frustrations.

You are right a psychiatrist is who you need to see. You might ask our docs medical secretary when you might expect an appt. (sometimes referrals get lost or not even sent )

I can't say whether or not getting another refill on your prescription will help, but it probably won't hurt either. Take Care. paul m

piano321

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 04:17:43 pm »
Hello, I go by the name Piano321 - I'm 53 years old and married for 29 years to a wonderful husband. 

Unfortunately, my dream of having a family of my own did not pan out, I lost 2 babies in my thirties, I was not able to conceive afterwards, had about 11 medical surgeries, too many physical problems.  However, I was always resilient, not one to complain about myself or start a pity party but the past 3 years have been very challenging mentally and physically.

I think I always had a problem with depression and anxiety all my life but managed to work through it.  I was a graphic artist, pianist, choir director, I worked as a mediation assistant but now I am mostly numb and very apathetic about everything.

I see a lot of people here posting about their interests and I feel sad to mention I no longer have any, total apathy.  I "used" to enjoy gardening, flower arrangements, decoration, discussions about life in general/history/world news, the arts, theatre, nature, furniture refurbishing, letter writing, etc.  I still garden but all my inner joy has gone so I'm trying to practice mindfulness and live in the present moment.

I've been diagnosed with a complex depression and anxiety disorder I'm still going through the medical system, going around in circles.  I never did well on medication, in fact, personally speaking, I'm extremely sensitive to anti-depressants.  I was on Paxil for 21 years and it really damaged me on many levels.  I was finally able to taper off this med and have now been Paxil free for 17 months.  I'm suffering from the results of coming off this medication and dealing with uncontrollable tremors. 

I was always one who thought about others, always wanting to help and one who cares deeply about people in general, I may be a little too empathetic.  I'm a person who is spiritual, in many ways it has helped me throughout my struggles.  I miss not working and have been off work for the past 3 years and on LTD.  I find it very difficult not being part of society and being able to contribute in some little ways.  I don't really have friends, I was sick so often that the ones I had seemed to have vanished.  I always dreamed of having a large family and true friends I could just call up or spend time with.  No, I don't feel sorry for myself, maybe it's just me who can't seem to "fit in" but I know I'm a very lovable and kind person.

The Mood Disorder Association is a wonderful place where one feels accepted and I'm grateful to have found this place.  In the meantime, I'm just trying to live day by day and hope to eventually find inner peace. 

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:58 pm »
Hello piano321 and welcome. Please feel free to ask questions, answer other people's questions , post articles or comments and/or use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations.

We certainly don't have all the answers here, but I have learned a lot from others over the years and we are friendly. So welcome and Take Care. paul m

Strength

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2016, 08:37:26 pm »
Hello, everyone!

I am joining this online group, as I was diagnosed a number of years ago with a mood-related disorder, and was referred to the MDAO by a friend.

Looking forward to giving and receiving support!

- Strength

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2016, 02:30:50 am »
Hello Strength and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry for my belated  welcome, but please feel free to post and I'll try and be more prompt in my replies. Take Care. paul m

Fathergeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2016, 10:41:31 am »
Hello everyone. Anybody who's been on here a while will know me. For those of you who don't know me I'm Fathergeorge. It's a pleasure to be back after a lenghty absence. I look forward to reacquainting myself with any older member and to meeting new ones. Cheers