Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 134319 times)

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
Hello Iambluetoo and welcome to the forum. It can be frustrating trying to get help. I don't know why the doc said what she did, but I do know the following.

Depression does not care what sort of job that we have or how well off we are and it can strike anyone. It is listed as a major illness by WHO (World Health Organization). One of the key items that depression does to us is that it causes a negative outlook towards the world. By that I mean, I might not find my job in the least stressing, but if depression comes along then all of a sudden I may be unable to face work the next day(actually happened to me, I had a job I loved and suddenly I couldn't go to work anymore).

Depression may also make a lousy job worse and cause anxieties to worsen. Anxieties can also cause depression to worsen so I can understand you being upset.

I wouldn't give up  on trying to get more help from your doc, but you may want to take the "Check up from the neck up" quiz provided by the MDAO   https://mooddisorders.ca/program/check-up-from-the-neck-up     

It was developed by the MDAO and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Department of Psychiatry (Dr. Anthony Levitt, Psychiatrist-in-Chief) The Ontario Psychological Association The Ontario College of Family Physicians, Collaborative Mental Health Care Network and you can print this part off as well.https://mooddisorders.ca/quiz/about    .

Sometimes docs listen a little better when you give them answers that speak their language (I know that's not fair, but that's how it is sometimes).  Taking the quiz and printed everything out may allow you to persuade your doc that you have a very real illness.

In the meantime please do not hesitate to ask questions, answer other people's questions and/or use the forum to vent out a few of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m

GrizzlyMantooth

• just trying to find a balance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 08:33:49 pm »
Hey everyone!

I've recently signed up for the organizational membership and the forums here. I've been in therapy and meds for a couple years now (dealt with anxiety/panic issues for almost 20 yrs and cycles of depression for last 10 yrs). I wish I got help earlier but denial is a powerful thing...

My treatments have been quite helpful (I wasn't expecting any miracle fixes) but I feel like connecting with other people experiencing similar issues and feelings will be helpful. Since I was diagnosed, I've felt the need to advocate whenever I can for mental health awareness and help peers however I can. I'm finishing up my phd right now in medical ethics, and have recently narrowed a lot of my research on mental health issues (present at the Canadian Bioethics Society regularly on the relationship of theories and my personal experiences). My aspirations are to become a clinical bioethicist, hopefully specializing in mental health.

If anyone is ever interested in talking about that stuff or anything really for that matter let me know!
"Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat" - Andrew Solomon

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 10:51:40 pm »
Hello GrizzlyMantooth and welcome.  Most of us on here have had problems much like yours and we certainly welcome hearing what worked for you.  Please feel free to ask questions, respond to other people's questions and/or use the forum to vent.  Take Care. paul m

GrizzlyMantooth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 12:19:36 am »
Thanks Paul, I look forward to being part of the community  :)

also, forgot to mention my name is Marco
"Living with depression is like trying to keep your balance while you dance with a goat" - Andrew Solomon

Iambluetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 07:29:48 pm »
Thanks Paul for the Welcome and the suggestions.

And welcome to Marco.

Wendy

GrizzlyMantooth

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 10:43:57 pm »
thanks and welcome to you as well Wendy

Iambluetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:03 am »
I know I've been quiet for a while. I have visited and looked in on the forum, but I've been trying to decide my path. I went back to the Doctor and talked things out. Starting Cipralex this morning, first meds in over 20 years. On one hand I'm looking forward to feeling better about myself and life. On the other hand, I'm terrified of the potential side effects. The pharmacist assured me that these newer SSRI's are much easier on the system. I sure hope so! And I've also a referral for counselling.  Thanks for talking to me about this and helping me find the nerve to pursue help.

GrizzlyMantooth

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 11:54:43 am »
that's great news. it took me over a decade to take the step towards even considering meds, so you're not alone there.

I have been taking cipralex for a few years now and even though I'm on the max dose 40mg, I noticed results within the first few weeks on the introductory dose of 10mg in regards to my anxiety. I've had to increase over time to help me with major depressive episodes but it's still working. So things that it took away within a month for me were a lot of bodily symptoms like IBS and tremors but it also helped with delusions and minor hallucinations from panic attacks.

The only new negative side effect I have had since starting it has been weight gain, I've gained 25lbs over the years. When I workout hard I'm able to lose around 10lbs of it. It really bothered me at first, but I've slowly learned that it's totally worth the little bit of weight, now that I can function as a normal human being and do simple things like pick up take out and make a phone call to a stranger.

I just started going to the mdao support groups as well and that has been a positive experience for sure. something else to consider, that also took me a couple years to build up the courage to sit my butt down though.

anyways the new ssri's are much easier on the system and they work in a superior way than the older drugs that just band aided the issue. If you ever have any worries or concerns and want to talk to somebody feel free to pm me.

all the best!

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 03:07:44 am »
Hello Iambluetoo. Each medication affects everyone a bit differently. Cipralex is known for being difficult to start with headaches and increased anxiety and/or stomach upset for about a mth. It's then known for having very few side affects there after. So hopefully you will have few to start with and less as time goes on. I hope that it works for you.

Congrats on picking a path, that is always a hard thing to do. I know that just deciding to try and get better was a major life decision for me and it scared me to death. Not that I didn't want to get better, I did, just the potential problems scared me. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m

Iambluetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 08:08:57 am »
Thanks Grizzly and Paul for your words of encouragement and feedback on  Cipralex. Day 3 and I've experienced very little in the way of side effects. I was honestly terrified of this stuff after reading comments online (elsewhere) about it. But of course people react differently. I have also read some good reviews.

Does anyone here practice Meditation?  I try to include it in my life every day. Sometimes just for a few minutes, but it does help. The following article shows a positive spin on the combination of SSRI's and a Mindfulness Practice.
http://www.inquiringmind.com/Articles/MedicineForTheBrain.html

GrizzlyMantooth

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 11:50:02 am »
yeah any drug is different for anyone as our brains are complicated things but for myself and others I know cipralex has had minimal side effects. I had one friend switch because her legs twitched a lot at night and she couldn't sleep but that was it. I hope it's a positive experience for you too!

As for the meditation, I do various forms of it and it's never really structured to any particular tradition. Spiritually I'm a mystic so the various forms of meditation are paramount over any other form of worship. I just feel like it connects me with something outside myself and often times you are able to step outside your self and be one with the universe. I agree that it can be quite psychologically liberating and it helps me with anxiety for sure. Sometimes I do regular sitting and lying down meditations, yoga, muslim salat, etc. The only thing I will say is, from my own experience, I had to be patient in learning how to do it. I found that certain methods just didn't work for me, but others did. You just have to find what feels good. :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:52:12 am by GrizzlyMantooth »

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 01:17:28 am »
hello Iambluetoo. I know a lot of people that meditation works for, but it doesn't work for me. I don't know why, it just doesn't.  However it is a proven fact that any type of good mindfulness practice is better than just straight meds. While I don't do well at meditation, I do a lot better when I practice what I've learned in various cognitive behavioral courses.

I have no idea why various health plans , both private and provincial don't provide more in the way of alternative treatments or supplementary treatments. It's been proven over and over again that people do better when they do more than just take medication. Take Care. paul m p.s. in case anyone is wondering, I take my meds everyday, but since started living a different life style and practicing what I have learned in various course I don't have to take nearly as many meds as I used to and the doses of those that I do take are lower. 

Iambluetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »
PaulM, Thanks for the feedback on how alternative treatments work together for you. That's Wonderful to hear.

Carly

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »
Hey Everyone.
I'm Carly and I'm just in the midst of a terrible anxiety and depression phase. I'm not working and had to stop going to school. I'm staying with my parents cause I feel so lonely at my place. I find most of the day unbearable and I feel very alone and scared. One good thing is that my cousin has very bad anxiety and we have been talking on the phone every Sunday and supporting eachother. I really hope I can come through this.  I just got a transitional case worker through the hospital and we're meeting on Thursday.

I'm scared the meds they gave me won't work. I'm on Cymbalta, and it's been about 3 weeks. They say I need to be patient. I'm also on Buspar and Trazodone for sleeping and I feel so bad about myself when I take my handful of pills. I hope everybody is doing well and is doing the best they can. I honestly have never needed other people so badly before. I'm so glad you people exist and seem so nice. Does anyone attend that mood disorder support group in London on Wednesdays? I want to go but I'm anxious about it.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 11:34:27 pm »
Hello Carly and welcome. Fighting depression and anxiety can be tough and I can understand how alone that you feel. In regards to taking meds , they do tend to take a while to work and the amount that we have to take can seem like too much. However many physical illnesses can make us take too many meds too. When it's a physical illness no one seems to care too much about taking the medications(me included) , but for some reason most of us feel upset about having to take them for a mental illness (me included).

Over time, as your illness comes more under control you may or may not be able to cut back on some of the meds. Maybe not too, but that's still no shame or weakness. I've taken arthritis medication for longer than I've taken psych meds and nobody ever sez that taking arthritis medication is a weakness.

In regards to the London group, I know of it and I know one of the facilitators and it seems like a pretty good group. Most groups are pretty friendly and non judgmental.  You can attend and if you don't like it, you don't have to go back, you don't even have to stay for the whole meeting. 

Please feel free to ask questions on here, answer other people's questions an/or use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. We may not be able to cure you, but we are friendly. Good luck with you medications. Take Care. paul m