Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 134228 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »
Nice to see new people!

Dragonfly and Michelle:  you're not wordy, btw.

Peter :D

Some of us on here have met in person, especially at Laughing like Crazy shows.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:10 pm »
Welcome Michelle to the forum,

I am so sorry about what you went through. I am glad that you found a psychiatrist (we call them pdoc's to make it easier) that finally understood you. I know it can be a long process.
This forum has helped me so much. Please post as much as you want. We are very caring, friendly and non-judgemental here.
Your contribution helps us too. It gives more insight as to what people suffer who have a mental illness. Your post is valuable to us. We can learn from it. In the beginning when I joined the forum I was so scared to post. I thought I might write something wrong. I don't feel that way anymore. I have great friends here that listen to me and help me. You are not being too wordy.

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:59 pm »
Thank you Peter for telling me that I am not too wordy. Like I said in an earlier post I would love to meet some of you.

Dragonfly :)

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 09:15:54 pm »
Hi Michelle!

Welcome to the Forum! it's great to meet you! I am bipolar 1 too! (thus the thing 1) I hope you will participate with the group! it would be great to get to know you more!
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 11:16:58 pm »
Hello mmarynuk.  I understand and can sympathize. Unfortunately incorrect diagnosis for extended periods is still way to common. Good to see you paot again. Take Care. paul m

Lysta

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 07:14:59 pm »
Hi Everyone :) My name is Elizabeth and I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum. I am a 37 year old single mom of an almost 17 year old boy and a 12 year old girl. I am currently on disability for a combination of things. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, anxiety disorder, depression, bi polar disorder and IBS. As you can imagine, I find myself pretty exhausted. I am also battling anaemia and a severe vitamin B12 deficiency.

Like some other people here have mentioned, it took a very long time to get my diagnoses. I was 15 when they started treating depression. At 32 when I got a new doctor, I was finally sent for proper care and only then started to receive treatment that worked (slowly but surely).

I joined this forum because I'm tired of being alone. The few people I do have around me try to understand but unless you have experienced any or all of these things, I don't believe you can truly understand.

At times I feel as though I am never going to get better. I was off work for 3 years and then returned to school for retraining. This semester, my second to last, I had to withdraw as I wasn't in a state to continue. Seems like a step back but 5 years ago, I couldn't drive my car. I had to be dragged to my doctors appointments and didn't leave the house otherwise. I cried for hours at a time, was in so much pain my children couldn't give me hugs. My doctor says that anyone else who had endured what I have the last 5 years would not be standing right now. I am all my children have and they are my biggest motivation to keep going, to stay upright, to get better.

Hope I didn't bore you guys too much :)

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 10:44:35 pm »
Hi Elizabeth and welcome,

I am sorry that you have been having such a hard time. I find that this forum has helped me a great deal. We are a friendly, caring, supportive, non-judgemental group.

What you have to say is not boring to us. In fact what you have to say gives us insight into problems that we also may be experiencing.

Post as much as you want. We are here for you.

Dragonfly

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:16:27 am »
Welcome Elizabeth! You are not boring at all! I have been there and no it's no fun! Feel free to post often we don't judge here!
Love is the reason!

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 07:07:44 am »
Hi Elizabeth, it's been a pleasure getting to know you on this board! I am glad you joined us and you definitely are not boring. You are very brave for having to deal with all you have dealt with .. sorry I am so late in welcoming you .. Introductions are usually the last place I notice on the board. Welcome!

- Soozan

Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 03:59:32 pm »
Hello everyone,

how are you all doing ?   I hope everyone is trying to enjoy the sunshine.

My name is Becky.  Today is my first day on this forum.  I am a 31 yr old single mom to a 6 year old boy.  I have been suffering with depression on and off for the last 10 or so years.  I was episode free from the time i was pregnant until approximately last summer. 

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 10:33:17 pm »
Hi Becky!

Welcome to the Forum! Sorry no one has responded recently, we have all been pretty quiet lately! but usually we have more to say! Please make yourself at home and feel free to post whatever is on your mind. We would love to hear from you! and Happy Mother's day!

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 12:49:23 am »
Hello Becky and sorry about the belated welcome. If you are still out there, please feel free to ask questions, answer other people's questions or just use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m

rollingl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 10:52:55 pm »
Hi,

I used to be on this forum as, I think, wheelchairdemon. I lost the link and over time, lost the ability to log in (once I found the link).

I now live in Toronto. I used to live in Kingston.

I was in the "system" for 22 years. The diagnoses I was given included anything from schizophrenia to bipolar to personality disorder to no mental illness at all.

Whatever the case I have years of lived experience inside the system and out. I have learned that the best way to cope is get away from negative attitudes and put-downs, find new things to get myself involved in that has me integrated in society, and make sure I choose things I enjoy doing.

I have no idea if I'm mentally ill or not. I'm well now and I have not seen a psychiatrist, been given counselling, or taken a medication for years. What I know is, by controlling lifestyles that fit my personality I'm no longer going up and down the depression/manic rollercoaster. I'm pretty level.

With this kind of lived experience (of revolving door experiences and admissions to the psychiatric hospitals) I have learned some good coping skills. I've also learned the importance of networking with others who understand "people who are different."

By joining this group it is my hope to share both lived experiences and "what works" strategies. Every once in awhile I need a boost too. Hopefully a network like this will work as a two-way street.

Louise

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 10:49:22 pm »
Welcome Louise,

I don't have much to say right now. I have been away for the weekend and didn't notice your post until late tonight.

Dragonfly

Iambluetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 03:22:55 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I joined earlier in the week and has been slowly looking around at older posts to get a feel for the site.
Like a few others here, I've not had a Clinical Diagnosis. However, it's not difficult for those who have known me for years to see a pattern of Depression.
I actually went to my Doctor last week to discuss getting help and she dismissed me, saying that my job wasn't stressful? (Because I work retail). What could I possibly have to be stressed about? Well, there's my husband's Chronic Illness and My Fear of the Commute to work. And who is to say that I don't have stress on the job? Is the Doctor there at work with me??

So I went looking for support meetings online and came across this forum. Thanks Sooo much for being here. I've already found some peace by reading through the posts.

Have a Great Weekend. Happy Father's Day to those who are fathers or have fathers to celebrate with.

I'm looking forward to reading more and getting to know you better.