Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: GPs in T.O. who do psychotherapy
« Last post by eScotty on April 23, 2017, 12:45:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Paul. I will follow up. :D
General Discussion / Re: GPs in T.O. who do psychotherapy
« Last post by paulm on April 22, 2017, 11:55:35 PM »
Hello eScotty. The short answer is they are extremely hard to find and due to some gov't practices it has made them even harder to find.

You might want to try telehealth Ontario  1-866-797-0000 and ask if they know of anyone. Or you can try http://www.mentalhealthhelpline.ca/  by phone, email, chat or self search and see if they have anything. 

You could try your local walk in clinics, community care access centre etc to see if they know of any.

You can ck this website out https://www.ontario.ca/locations/health/searchResults.php?latitude=43.653226&longitude=-79.38318429999998&lang=en&find=PSYCHOTHERAPY&near=Toronto%2C+ON%2C+Canada#main   You will find 13 family health care teams listed offering therapy.   You then click one, say the Scarborough Academic Family Health Team Overlea Blvd Site  https://www.ontario.ca/locations/health/locationDetails.php?location=153379&lang=en 

If you then scroll down it sez that they offer psychotherapy.  However you have to be refered by a doc who is a member of a health care team (a majority , but not all G.P.'s are). You might want to give them a call first to see what kind of psychotherapy they offer who who does it for them.

A few hospitals also have out patients services that may offer counselling covered by OHIP

If the system sounds confusing and more than a little stupid you are not alone feeling that way.  Sorry that's the best I can offer. Let us know if you find anything that works to find the proper doc.  Take Care. paul m
General Discussion / GPs in T.O. who do psychotherapy
« Last post by eScotty on April 22, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
Hello,
I'm not a new member technically, but haven't posted here since 2014.  I have depression and GAD.  Does anyone know of a G.P. in Toronto who practises psychotherapy full-time (and is covered for it by ohip)?  The GP Psychotherapy Association of Canada used to provide names of such GPs on its website but no longer does so and declines to do so by phone.  My family doctor doesn't know of any.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. ;D
General Discussion / Re: Happy Easter
« Last post by paulm on April 22, 2017, 12:32:04 AM »
Hello Peace. Sorry this is a bit late. I'm doubly sorry that your Easter didn't go well. Take Care. paul m

Hello Dragonfly. Our Easter went well. Thx and Take Care. paul m
General Discussion / Re: Lost fiance
« Last post by paulm on April 22, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »
Hello Littleorchid. Good points. I'll have to remember them.  We've been married a very long time and while we get along quite well, a lot of our arguments start over trivial things.We don't argue a lot, but sometimes trivial issues can get blown way out of proportion.  They seem major at the time, but often looking back they are very trivial. When you said :

" 1 - I am probably exaggerating and/or not dealing/owning my emotions.
2 - the other person becomes defensive from the onset because they are being blamed for something
3 - the actual issue gets lost  "

That about cover 90% of our arguments and from both sides. My wife can inadvertently say something that triggers something in me when it shouldn't even be a trigger and vice versus and so on.  Take Care. paul m
General Discussion / Re: Re clutter....
« Last post by paulm on April 22, 2017, 12:14:24 AM »
Hello Littleorchid. That's a great idea. When we had to move our mother out of her house into a much smaller place we found that she had saved thousands of newspaper and magazine clippings, each one of some interest to her. She most distressed when we threw most of them out. Some were inherited from her mother so some of the stuff was pretty interesting,but non of us had a place to store it and digital wasn't available.

I still have several boxes of the stuff(some of it 100 yrs plus old) . I am looking down the end of living in a large place, so I might just buy a scanner and do that with my own stuff. I ck'ed and they are not that expensive these days. Thx for the suggestion and Take Care. paul m
« Last post by Littleorchid on April 20, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
Dragonfly

Maybe get her a scanner so she can digitize the papers? I am not sure if this helps "deal" with the problem but if she gets rid of some of the clutter it will be good for her - I think hoarding feeds on itself. You feel bad looking at the clutter and you hoard because you feel bad.

My grandmother has a hoarding problem - that's how I learned that I have it as well and I deal with it by slowly pushing myself to throw things out. It's painful but it gets easier after time and I feel ok in my room. Still have too much clothes though.

hope that helps

littleorchid
General Discussion / Re: Lost fiance
« Last post by Littleorchid on April 20, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
Thank you for the support guys :)

Peace, I am glad that you are taking things into your own hands and wish I had that type of strength. You will be my inspiration for today. Also my dad doesn't have a clue about mental health and the things he has said in the past about why I do things or why things turn out a certain way have been quite hurtful. I feel you.

I've re-astablished a dialogue with my ex. He is open to seeing me and talking as long as I remain dignified. My addiction is more or less under control. It gets in the way though when I give in - but I try to use my failure as a lesson. The loneliness is overwhelming but I try to deal with it like a healthy person. Keeping a safe distance from my ex also reduces the chances of my freaking out I guess. I think having an ASD just makes everything seem like a bigger deal than it actually is so I try to keep that in mind. It is not much comfort though when my mind and heart are taking me places I don't really have complete control over. People say we can move on, that horrible things happen in our lives and we just find the strength to deal with it. Yet I am sure I will not recover from this. 

My mother has ptsd and my dad doesnt understand but they have been able to maintain a loving, although flawed relationship. I think communication is a big factor and even "healthy" people do not communicate properly. For example. In rehab I learned that we need to own our emotions and make that clear when we talk to other people. Saying "you made me feel..." is considered a big no no since technically no one can "make" you feel a certain way. Like when I fly off the handle and I say "you made me feel like..." it's bad communication because
1 - I am probably exaggerating and/or not dealing/owning my emotions.
2 - the other person becomes defensive from the onset because they are being blamed for something
3 - the actual issue gets lost
« Last post by Dragonfly on April 18, 2017, 05:55:06 PM »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info. Too bad we don't live in Toronto otherwise I would have liked to take my daughter.

Dragonfly
« Last post by Pleeb on April 18, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10