Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: I was very, very angry with my two daughters yesterday
« Last post by paulm on March 27, 2017, 10:45:21 PM »
Hello Dragonfly.  You should keep your doctors appt and also ask what they think is best for the pain. Some people with kidney disease certainly cannot take aspirin, but part of that depends on what type of kidney disease it is and how severe it is.  Your doctor should know best.

I'm glad that  Lamotrigne is working well for you. It's funny how psychiatric medications affect so many people differently. When I tried Lamotrigne for all the good it did me I may as well have taken smarties LOL.

In regards to migraines. For yrs my wife suffered from migraines (and it wasn't me causing them LOL). She tried everything that the doctors told her to try, some medication would help make them less severe, but nothing solved them.

Then one day her dentist asked her if she suffered from migraines and she said yes. He said that it was possible because she had never had braces and her upper and lower teeth were misaligned. He said that a simple mouthguard might work He made up a simple mouth guard that snaps onto her teeth (it's small, clear and she can wear it in public without most people noticing) and she hasn't had a migraine since (that was over 20 yrs ago). She wears it at night and sometimes during the day if she is feeling tense.

I use this as an example of how misleading the internet or even doctors can be. If you ck the Mayo Clinic website or Web MD, both respected sites, neither will mention using a specialized mouth guard as a possible option. They only suggest medication, relaxation techniques and avoiding certain foods. However if you google: Can a mouth guard help with migraines? You will get all sorts of dental sites suggesting using a variety of mouth guard remedies. 

A mouth guard will not help all people with migraines, but my wife was highly ticked off when she discovered that she had suffered all of those yrs and not one doctor had suggested a mouth guard as a remedy.

Anyways, I've said enough. Good luck with your arthritis(and other things too). Take Care. paul m

« Last post by Dragonfly on March 25, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
Hi Paul,

I did some research on the internet. I believe I cannot take aspirin because of my chronic kidney disease. I have made an appointment with my doctor about my arthritic pain this coming Friday. I keep wanting to cancel it. I probably should go.

Dragonfly
« Last post by Dragonfly on March 25, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the information on tylenol and aspirin. I have already thought about it. I am not going to follow the pharmacists recommendation of taking tylenol 3 times a day for arthritic pain.

It is interesting that you mention the fact that aspirin controls inflammation better than tylenol. When I was younger I used to get migraine headaches. I found that aspirin would work much better for me than tylenol. I was not on lithium then or any other drugs and did not have the health problems that I have now. For some reason I do not have those headaches anymore.

I am no longer on lithium. I got off it because of my kidneys. Lamotrigne seems to be keeping my bipolar in check plus other psychiatric drugs. That does not mean that this drug would be effective for other people.

I am glad that you mentioned the fact that aspirin works better than tylenol. Maybe I am not suppose to take aspirin because of my other health problems. I am going to look into that.

I guess I should again question the pharmacist as to why I cannot take aspirin. They know I am no longer on lithium,

Dragonfly
« Last post by paulm on March 25, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
Hello Dragonfly. I'm glad that your Granddaughters are coping well. I thank you for the information about what you take for arthritis.

Tylenol is very good at killing the pain, but I will get up on my soap box a bit and talk about the usage of Tylenol vs aspirin especially for those of us taking lithium and or having liver problems .  I am not a medical qualified person and I know that there are many reasons not to take aspirin, however if some one is told , don't take it because they are taking lithium and that is the only reason, chances they are being misinformed.

Most doctors and most pharmacists say "don't take aspirin if you take lithium"  As aspirin is far more effective at controlling inflammation than Tylenol , aspirin is usually the medication to use. However for some reason most docs and most pharmacists have not read all of the latest studies which shows that aspirin does not affect affect the lithium levels in the average person.

From drugs.com "Most studies have shown that aspirin and other salicylates do not significantly affect the serum concentrations of lithium. In general, no particular precaution should be necessary when lithium is coadministered with salicylates." 

Aspirin usually has a better effect on arthritis as aspirin has anti inflammatory effects and Tylenol does not. For those of us with arthritis, we want to keep the inflammation down as well a kill the pain. 

Tylenol can be extra ordinarily hard on your liver and over dosing can be very easy. Tylenol's own website shows that we should not take more than 3000 mg per day  https://www.tylenol.com/safety-dosing/usage/dosage-for-adults    however as Tylenol arthritis contains 650mg of medication and the recommended maximum dose is 6 pills at 650mg each per day, and that equals 3900 mg per day, I don't understand how they can say it's good to take that much. Even 6 doses of extra strength Tylenol per day maxes a person out at 3000 mg per day and those with impaired livers are told not to take that much, but yet doctors continually say take Tylenol for arthritis!!! 

Also as Tylenol is in many other products it is easy to go over the maximum daily dose.

There is nothing wrong with taking tylenol, but according to http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/820200-overview  "  In the United States, acetaminophen toxicity has replaced viral hepatitis as the most common cause of acute hepatic failure and is the second most common cause of liver failure requiring transplantation."

So if you are taking tylenol 3 times a day you might want to calculate your daily dosage and if near 3000mg, talk to your doctor about it.  I'm not recommending either product, I'm just using this chance to tell people just to be extra careful when using tylenol. Take Care. paul m
« Last post by Dragonfly on March 24, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Hi Paul,
 I empathize with you about your arthritis. As mentioned by two doctors and my pharmacist I seem to have at the moment arthritis in my wrist, hands and arm. They advised me to take tylenol morning, noon and before bed as it flares up. Also to do exercises. I am advised not to take advil or aspirins.

It seems to me that my granddaughter is coping alright with the death of her uncle. I have read the articles that you posted. Thank you. I will make sure to address any fears and questions that my granddaughter has.

Dragonfly

Depression and Bipolar / Re: Getting past the nihilism
« Last post by Stenacron man on March 22, 2017, 12:50:49 AM »
You can never go as dark as I have gone, your not alone at all. All humans have a dark side they just wish to not explore it. Me on the other hand think it should be talked about more. Talk therapy in a site like this is good it helps others realise they are not alone. I lived on the dark side of the moon for 20 years with chronic thought's of torturing terrorist since 9/11 and daily suicide from the loss of a child. As long as you FEAR death than suicide is not an option cause we fear the unknown.
« Last post by jackal on March 21, 2017, 08:05:06 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I can relate to a lot of what you said. For one thing, the medication has for the most part kept me on an even footing, but as you said, it alluded to, it doesn't really leave me feeling very alive either.

I do realize that there are certain other things that can make a difference as you mentioned. For one, I use to be very active sports-wise until I got out of university. I kept running almost daily for some time but after a while, as with most of these non-medicinal remedies, I either lose interest or motivation or both.

In short it just seems like there's too much you need to tackle to keep on top. For example, I used to frequent the pub far too much for someone with my condition. But with a lot (a LOT) of hard work and help from my doc, I managed to overcome this. Only that instead of it feeling like a victory, which I keep having to remind myself it is, it rather feels like I've just barely scratched the surface.

The various sources I've read about my situation usually mention the same basic approaches to feeling better. Namely, taking your meds (check), not drinking (let's put that at 95%), eating healthy (this is where it starts to breakdown; while I don't eat much junk food, I also can't seem to get myself to have breakfast regularly, or cook much, it just feels too taxing), exercise (again here, it's sustaining any sort of routine that seems impossible; during this time of year, I will often get back into talking walks, or even running/cycling, but inevitably, they just end up being a chore more than an enjoyable activity, and of course, by the time winter rolls back around the bend, you can forget about getting me out of the house).

Lastly, there's another "addiction" that if I'm honest about it, probably doesn't help me, and I'm staring at it right now (my PC). I got my first computer when I was 3 years old (well ok, my dad got it, but I definitely used it more than he ever did) and if anyone has grown up in tandem with the Internet, it's me. Of course I've gained a great deal from this for sure, but at the same time, I probably spend upwards of 80% of my waking hours staring at a monitor (if I include my phone). In other words, instead of focusing my energy on something good for my health, I fall in this trap where I don't have to deal with anyone that I don't want to, I can speak only to those I wish to, I have access to the world, but the world can't get to me, etc...

What has helped you guys when it comes to motivation? Especially when it comes to staying motivated?
General Discussion / New Posters
« Last post by paulm on March 21, 2017, 12:12:34 AM »
Hello Everyone. A couple of new posters have posted in the depression and bipolar section. I know that it is often easy to miss these posts, but if you get a chance say hello. Also Dan has posted in that section an on line resource for families. Take Care. paul m
« Last post by paulm on March 21, 2017, 12:10:28 AM »
Hello Dragonfly. What does my arthritis feel like to me?  Depends on what part is hurting LOL. My knees and ankles are much better now that I have lost weight and the medication has helped a lot too.

The arthritis in my spine is a different matter. When it decides to flare up, I am bed ridden or move at a snails pace until the inflammation goes down. We were in Ottawa a couple of yrs ago and we got to the motel and I couldn't move to get out of the van. I had to sit there for a couple of hrs applying heat (hot water bottle ) and eating aspirins just so I could go in and lie down.  Fortunately it does not flare up too often.

In regards to funerals: I hate going to funerals in the following order: 1) children's, 2) Sudden death, i.e. car accidents, suicides 3) all other types. 

All deaths of young people are a waste, suicide included.  I feel very sad that all of that potential is wasted.

In regard to your Grandaughter, it would hurt to read the following http://www.speakingofsuicide.com/2013/05/05/what-to-tell-children/    and  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/promoting-hope-preventing-suicide/201608/talking-kids-about-suicide     The articles address two key fears that children have.

1) Will that happen to someone else I love? (a common thought in youth)

2)Sometimes children understand things wrong like:" I wished that he hadn't been so mean to mean the other day and I wished that he would just go away" I didn't mean for him to die.

I'm not saying that your Granddaughter will think either thought, but it doesn't hurt to read a bit about how children process death and possibly talk with them. 

I hope that your whole family is able to let this unfortunate happening pass without too much more grief. However if someone does need extra help, your son's benefit package may include grief counselling and you can also call 211 and ask what grief counselling is available in your area. Take Care. Paul M
« Last post by paulm on March 20, 2017, 11:38:12 PM »
Hello Jackal and welcome.  I haven't wanted to live several times and twice I tried very hard not to life, but was unsuccessful (obviously) . I don't know you so anything that follows may not apply to you or perhaps you have tried it all and none of my suggestions worked. However no matter what I say it isn't intended as a criticism of you or anyone else. Also I have no medical credentials of any sort.

I found that medications and psychiatrists could only make me stable, they couldn't make me happy. First a word on medications. I wasted yrs taking medications that didn't work very well. I wasn't trying to commit suicide and I wasn't being overly manic so as far as the shrink was concerned I was a success story. The fact that I had no life, didn't seem to bother him.  So I started slowly working on getting him to change some of it.

With the help of various support groups and a lot of reading (when I could) I learned that medication alone would not make be whole. I still take medication, but I also learned a lot about my illness (bipolar 1 & anxieties) I learned what my triggers were and how to avoid them, I learned what my early warning signs were and what action to take to correct my mood swing. I learned about the importance of diet, exercise , doing something meaningful, sleep , how to relax (well I'm still working on that one) and a host of other things that all affect my moods.

When I say doing something meaningful, that is different for everyone. For me it is volunteering, but I had to start out pretty slow at that at first too.

My life has gone from being not too enjoyable, pretty lousy in fact, to the point where I enjoy getting up most days. Nothing happened overnight and it was a long journey, but I'm glad that i made it.

Please feel free to ask questions, answer other people's questions and/or use this forum to vent out a few of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10