Author Topic: Getting 2 hearing aids...  (Read 12789 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
Getting 2 hearing aids...
« on: February 03, 2019, 05:12:05 am »
Getting 2 hearing aids from St. Mike's hospital.  They deal with various vendors.  (didn't know you can buy hearing aids via a hospital, get them adjusted, fixed (?) there.)

I'm getting an over the ear one kind....forget how audiologist and I decided on that kind.

I had thought I was hard of hearing in only my right ear - that's what the ENT Dr. said.  I was surprised when the audiologist mentioned BOTH ears.

Despite this, I almost never ask anyone to repeat what they say - on my right side only, and a little more lately.

Hearing aids cost as much as a Ferrrari!

Luckily, OHIP contributes $1,000, and my former work's plan probably contributes $1,400.

Peter

How am I gonna come up with the other $75,000 I owe? ::).....marry a rich widow?  :o

Actually, the total cost is over $3,000, and that's with the company's "permanent" discount.  Over $3,000 isn't unusual, from what I've heard.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting 2 hearing aids...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 07:38:06 pm »
Hello Peter. I hope that the hearing aids work well. Take Care. paul m

momfellinglost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 01:09:44 pm »
 Hope you can afford them. They can be life changing. I grew up with a parent who was hard of hearing and refused to do anything about it as far as hearing aids went. He did however read lips but that left people who were not directly in front of him thinking he was ignoring him. He was a senior when he finally got them and a whole new world opened up for him. The sounds that he had never heard in more than 50 years was amazing. I remember when he asked about a noise he could hear outside and asked what it was, took a bit but it was the russle of the leaves in the fall. And my hubby recently needed to get hearing aides he suffers from tinnitus and often times couldn't hear what colleges at meetings were saying it has made his life much easier to function in his work world. and at home too. He often asked me to repeat thing or ask if what he heard was what I said and often it wasn't what I said. But he often didn't ask at work so makes me wonder how many times what he thought he heard wasn't what was said. Good luck with the new aids and happy hearing

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:07:16 am »
You're super lucky, Peter, tbh. There's very few companies these days who offer benefits once the employee retires. My oldest daughter is applying for jobs and my youngest is applying for post-secondary internships. I encourage them each time they ask me about a certain position with a municipality or the government because they're the only jobs I know of that offer benefits after retirement.

Good luck with the hearing aids!  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:08:53 am by Peace »

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 08:22:37 pm »
There's very few companies these days who offer benefits once the employee retires.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

Yes, I'm very lucky about my benefits....I also have a dental plan, thank goodness.  Lucky!

Peter

Maybe the Feds, Post Office have similar retirement benefits?....crown corporation.

When I retired, I got a week's pay for every year worked.  That's overly generous, but I didn't turn down the money. :D  That sounds like something people in the military get.....clergy?

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 08:54:31 pm »
Peter,

Good luck with the hearing aids.

Dragonfly