Author Topic: hope to see a psychiatrist...  (Read 25222 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
hope to see a psychiatrist...
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:30:51 am »
I'll mention it to nurse practitioner soon.  It would be a geriatric one, as I'm 71.

I need help with procrastinating, for one thing........that's a BIG thing.

Possible reason for procrastinating/avoiding......"I'm not worth it".....i.e.,re doing self improvement things.  "I"m not worth improving, so why bother?"
Just a thought.

Peter

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: hope to see a psychiatrist...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:33:57 am »
Hi Peter,
Maybe I don't make sense. I find that I procrastinate is because I can't do things that I used to do. It is very frustrating. I should ask a family member or professional to help me. I is hard to admit that you can't do certain things anymore. So I procrastinate.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:04:42 pm »
Hello Perter. I too procrastinate too much. I don't have any good answers, but you are not alone. Take Care. paul m

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:11:50 am »
My psychiatrist explained to me those of us with OCD procrastinate so much because we think things through so much we rarely take action. He used to motivate me. I had such great respect for the man, retired now, that all he'd have to say to me is "you've talked about doing that since our initial appointments, please have it done by next appointment" and that was all I needed. As soon as I left his office I put the steps in place to have the task done by next appointment. It doesn't work so well with people I don't have such great respect for, but accountability is definitely something that motivates me.

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:52 am »
Forgot to mention, now I try (not always successful) to just do what needs to be done. Groceries? Go out as soon as store opens first day of sale type of thing. Exercise? First thing in the morning or as soon as I wake from a nap on goes the sweats and runners. If I don't force myself to do that I don't get anything done.

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 05:58:01 pm »

all he'd have to say to me is "you've talked about doing that since our initial appointments, please have it done by next appointment" and that was all I needed.

My ex psychiatrist used to tell me to leave a message on his phone once I've accomplished the task.

Peter

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:52:58 am »
Did it motivate you to do tasks, Peter?

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 06:16:51 pm »
Hi, Peace....Maybe it did....a bit.  This was ages ago - can't clearly remember.

BTW, my psychiatrist used to take my cigarette pack and throw it in the garbage in his office.... :-[

I quit on my own since then.....not exactly on my own - Nicoderm, support group at CAMH.

Peter

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:04:13 am »
Update:  found out today I have an appt with one (geriatric, I assume) on February 8.  :D

I'm surprised my appt is so soon!.....compared to what I've heard about other people trying to see psychiatrists.

Just a theory - maybe there are lots of geriatric psychiatrists, and therefore they have a smaller workload?
Or, psychiatrists take older people first.

Peter

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 06:11:29 pm »
Hello Peter. I hate going to a new doctor(shrinks included). I've certainly seen enough doctors that I shouldn't be nervous, but I always am. I hope that this doctor turns out to be good one for you. Take Care. paulm

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 08:12:13 am »
Pretty sure the thought that entered my mind as to why there's not such a long wait for geriatric psychiatrist won't help your health anxiety, Peter  ::)

I'm the same, Paul. My previous family doctor was good as far as having tests done if concerned, etc, but her understanding of mental health conditions and her bedside manner prompted me to change. Very happy with the current gp.

Same for psychiatrists. Previous one had me so anxious I would write to him, then re-write several times as an OCD compulsion. When I changed from him to my recently retired one I started by writing to the new one until I became comfortable enough the anxiety dissipated and the OCD writing and re-writing compulsion disappeared.

Sadly my most recent psychiatrist retired, but I'm fortunate in that after 25 years in the mental health system he diagnosed me and I'm confident his diagnosis is accurate. I phoned several others upon his retirement and my phone calls weren't even returned so I decided instead of putting myself through more medication trials by obtaining the only psychiatrist available where I live who has very poor reviews I'd just stick with my current gp for medication.

Best wishes with the new psychiatrist, Peter! We're all worth being treated well.  :)

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 01:34:26 am »
Thanks, guys.

I'm lucky - I've only seen one psychiatrist, and I saw him for 15 (?) years. 

I'm not including two (or more?) resident psychiatrists at St. Mike's years ago.  I stopped going because of no rapport with psychiatrists I only saw for months, and then not again.

I got an appointment with the psychiatrist I saw for 15 (?) years soon after - I saw his name in the paper in an article about CBT.  This was ages ago.

Peter

momfellinglost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 02:03:12 pm »
 I often procrastinate as well. For me it is that I over think the task and come up with more than one way to do it, and then ponder the choice over and over worried that I will make the wrong choice. My stove blew up NY day I need to choose a new stove but as normal I can't decide which one to choose do I want to spend the extra money installing gas line so that I don't have to worry about the price of power when I cook during the day? Is the model I thought I want the right one or should I spend a little more to get one with more features. I go round and round and 10 days later I still have no new stove(although hubby fixed it so I could use the burners) but no oven. Didn't think I used the oven that much until I didn't have one lol. Getting help these things is a good thing. Glad you didn't have to wait too long either. Good luck on your new journey

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:36 pm »
Hello momfeeling lost. I know what you mean about procrastinating. It's something I do all of the time. Take Care. paul m

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 10:30:18 pm »
Saw resident psychiatrist.  Turns out I only see her once, and she'll refer me to a social worker....who I've met a few times.  This social worker only sees people on a short term basis - a few months (?).

She thought maybe my diagnosis when younger (and now?....I forget) was mild autism.  Not the aspect of "I can't read peoples' feelings/body language." aspect of autism....she meant more the aspect of autism where you like routine?....I didn't really look it up.

Because I was nervous.......
1....I didn't ask why I wouldn't see another psychiatrist instead of a social worker.  BTW, I'm sure a lot of social workers can be better therapists than psychiatrists.  (btw, I'm not on meds that have to be monitored/adjusted frequently.

2.....I forgot to tell her "my main depression symptom is I can't keep my apt tidy."  On the other hand, my original diagnosis is Dysthymia, which would infer "can't be bothered....to tidy my apt........and millions of other things."  She might assume I'm like that.

Peter

She's ANOTHER anti-benzio person!.....forget if she meant for older people only.