Author Topic: Relapse  (Read 8993 times)

comfortably numb

• View Profile
Relapse
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:48:09 pm »
Hello to all,

I don't know what the trigger was, but in the last day, I felt like I was completely unwinding again and would end up back in a hospital.

It has been over three years since I was hospitalized.

My life in general has been very good. Great long term relationship, steady work. No money worries. At times I have felt like people around me, expected a lot from me, but it passed.

I was really tempted to start drinking heavily, but held out.

I am at a loss as to what is going on and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Cheers All
Be well

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Relapse
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:49:46 pm »
Hello Comfortably numb and welcome to the forum. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, answer other people's questions or use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations.

Why do we all of a sudden relapse? I don't know, I wish I did and my life wouldn't have had so many ups and downs.  It's good that you held out against drinking heavily and hopefully this relapse will be short. I know one thing that helps me get through them is telling myself that I got through past ones and I'll get through the next one.

I also find it better if I take a complete inventory of my habits/ lifestyle. Am I getting enough quality sleep? Am I exercising the same amount? Is my diet about the same?  and a whole host of other things that help to keep my moods stable. I'm not saying that you are doing anything wrong but it never hurts to see if there is anything different. I know that something simple like too much coffee or 30 minutes a day less sleep can eventually upset my moods.

Most mental illnesses are cyclic in nature. I know there are times when I have to increase my meds a little bit to offset a mood change, I then decrease them when I'm stable. (under a docs supervision) Take Care. paul m

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 04:15:31 am »
Great advice from Paul!  I'm still trying to think of suggestions/ideas.

Peter

Peace

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 08:59:05 am »
I like your name, comfortably numb  :) It's one of my fav Pink Floyd songs.  8)

I've had mental health concerns for years. Something in me just clicks, not sure what it is, and if I don't pay attention to the warning signs and reassess it can spiral rapidly. At times my inability to cope is triggered by events and at times it isn't. It just is, to me there isn't much point to trying to figure out the why. I think one of the worst things that can be said to us is "what are you unhappy about, you have a nice home, etc.". Makes me feel worse about myself than I already do.

I finally after many years received accurate diagnosis - OCD, agoraphobia, PTSD and depression in order of severity. Reality is I was born with the brain disorder OCD and I must be diligent to keep fighting the monster inside my head. Healthy lifestyle and being assertive to be able to say no when overwhelmed are key to maintaining my health.

As Paul said, kudos for not drinking!! That's awesome. It's a poor coping technique that will only make the situation worse, as I'm sure you know. Not a lecture, I'm alcohol dependent myself. Just last night as I was doing my dishes and putting a glass in the cupboard I thought "I wan't a drink" then immediately told myself bad idea.

Take pride in every achievement.

Please reach out to us, we are here for you, and we understand.

Peace

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:51 pm »
Welcome comfortably numb,

My mental illness has spanned over many years. With great support from my family, friends, medical professionals I am now quite stable.
I am saying quite. Not always believe me.

There are certain triggers for me. Becoming overtired is a big one. Then the negative thoughts start to come in. I ruminate a great deal about what people have said to me that seem unkind. I analyze some of the things I have done in the past as being really bad and effecting my loved ones. As a woman I think hormones play a large part too. Being an insulin dependent diabetic also effects my moods. The weather definitely makes a big difference. Especially spring and fall. Although sometimes it can be the sunniest day and I still feel that heavy mood of depression setting in.
Regular diet, rest, routine help a lot.
Expecting to much of myself definitely does not help. I want to do too many things at once and have them done yesterday. I have to pace myself.

We are very friendly, non-judgmental and supportive here. Please post anytime. What you have to say can help us all greatly. I have learned much from this forum. I feel I have found friends here.

Dragonfly