Author Topic: What's your definition of acceptance?  (Read 11564 times)

Pleeb

• View Profile
What's your definition of acceptance?
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:22:06 am »
This might help me.  Someone defined it today, but I forget what he/she said.

I always think acceptance=admit something, and never want to change it....which I'm wrong on. 

Peter

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
Re: What's your definition of acceptance?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:54 am »
Acceptance is recognizing your new reality and learning how to overcome it a place I hope to get to someday
Love is the reason!

DeterminedJay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:53:51 pm »
Acceptance to me, is becoming aware of the reality of situations and events around you and rising to the challenge of dealing with them, instead of avoiding them.

Now if someone could just show me how to avoid avoiding situations, that would be wonderful.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:58:47 pm »
Hello Peter. Acceptance is one of those words that future archaeologists are going to wonder what in the heck it means when trying to translate our language.

It can mean many things, such as (as taken from the free on line dictionary)

1. the act of taking or receiving something offered.
2. favorable reception; approval; favor.
3. the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory.
4. the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable.
a. a pledge to pay an order, draft, or bill of exchange when it becomes due.
b. an order, draft, or bill of exchange that has been accepted

Wikipedia says that  acceptance in human psychology is a person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a negative or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it, protest.  The article goes on to talk about how acceptance is the core dogma of many religious faiths  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance is an interesting article.

If you google acceptance psychology you will get a lot more definitions.

I also don't dispute what Determined Jay or Lucky Lou, you had to say on the subject.

For myself, I would say: My acceptance of having to pay taxes, doesn't mean that I won't use every available legal means to pay as little as I can or none at all if I could.  Or for someone the acceptance of having a terminal illness, would not necessarily stop them from continuing to seek out ways  to extend their life.

Ok I'm done babbling and cutting and pasting. Take Care. paul m

Soozan

• I love Rich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:30:41 am »
When it comes to acceptance, I am reminded of the serenity prayer, God Grant me the serenity to "accept the things I cannot change"

to me, acceptance is accepting those things that are out of our control, like our illnesses and learning to live and move on with life despite those things we cannot change.

I don't have to accept the things I do have the power to change ... those things that are in my power, like my attitude and my circumstances, if I can change them with determination and hard work.

Those are my thoughts on the subject :)

- Soozan
Deep, meaningful saying goes here... got one?

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:27:50 pm »
Thanks, guys!

Peter :-*

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:09:09 pm »

to me, acceptance is accepting those things that are out of our control, like our illnesses and learning to live and move on with life despite those things we cannot change.

I don't have to accept the things I do have the power to change ... those things that are in my power, like my attitude and my circumstances, if I can change them with determination and hard work

Soozan I hope you don't mind me quoting what you said.

I much like and agree with what you wrote Soozan. There was no control about my husband passing away. He had incurable cancer. I have to accept the fact that he is gone. Believe me this is very difficult. My husband would want me to go on. Especially for my children, grandchildren and I suppose for myself.

As you say I do have the power to change things in my power. Standing up for my family when they aren't being treated right. Easier to do for them than myself. Assertion in unfair business dealings, etc. A lot of times you can't win. Sometimes yes. You can try.

This is probably a whole other subject. I am not a believer in organized religion. God does not come into it for me. A creator probably. Definitely a believe in nature. I am probably opening a can of worms. I should not be sharing my views on this subject. Everyone should believe what they want. 

Dragonfly

Pleeb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:56:15 pm »
God Grant me the serenity to "accept the things I cannot change"

Good one - I forgot that one.....  Therefore I don't worry so much about certain relatives that I cannot change......

Peter

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 02:24:21 am »
Great post Peter,

Makes you think!  :-*

Dragonfly