Author Topic: Schedules  (Read 9486 times)

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Schedules
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:45 am »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone stay on a rigid schedule. I know this is hard when you are suffering from mania or depression.

I never seem to have my getting up, breakfast, lunch, supper and going to bed at around the same time. It always seems to be at different times. There is always something to do so I stretch these times.  How important is it to keep on a rigid schedule?
 I do suffer from insulin dependent diabetes so I have to eat three meals a day or I don't feel well. Usually have a snack in the evening so I can get through the night without my sugar level going too low.
When you are going out or have a social event it is very hard to stay on a rigid schedule.
This is a different topic. I am spending too much time on my computer. My mind is racing. There are so many things to do. I feel I need to do them all which is unrealistic. Can't seem to pace myself. Everything has to be done yesterday. Anyone has those feelings.

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Schedules
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:52:42 pm »
Hello Dragonfly. I have to keep to a schedule too. Mine isn't rigid, but it isn't too inflexible either. By that I mean I have to insure that I get 7 hrs a night sleep, although, one night be 5 and the next 9. I try to eat my meals at regular times, but when traveling or visiting I have trouble keeping that schedule, so I try to keep to more of a schedule when at home.

I have trouble relaxing around certain family members, so I try and schedule myself breaks when I am around them. Example, if I know that a certain sibling is going to be there I know in advance that every hr or so I'm either going to be in the bathroom for 5 minutes or taking a 15 minute walk.

As far as meals go, I have diabetes too, I find that what time I eat isn't as important as eating regular spaced meals and proper meals. I usually eat breakfast around 7.30 am, but nearly every Friday I sleep in. So I try to eat my Thursday snack a bit later and adjust my Friday meals a by 30-60 minutes later.

There are always days when everything gets screwed around and on those days, I sometimes just have to take time to rest and recover on the following day.

In regards to being on the computer too much, I can be guilty of that. Sometimes it takes a lot of will power to just shut it off.  In regards to "everything has to been done yesterday" I certainly have days like that. I try to remind myself that if I have to work extra hard for several days than I will try and take a day off to relax later in the week.

In regards to my mind racing. I try to use alternative methods to slow it down.  Read a book I don't really like, do some exercise(cut the lawn etc) and I try to remember to change subjects slowly. Sounds weird I know, but when my mind is really racing I tend to hop from one subject to another very quickly. So I try to concentrate on one subject, sometimes it helps my brain slow down. Take Care. paul m

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply Paul,

I don't know why I want everything done yesterday. It almost seems like if I don't get it done now it will never get done. It almost seems like I am in a time crunch. I may not be here tomorrow. It should be done before then.

I like your suggestion about concentrating on one subject. My mind too can hop from one subject to another quickly.

When I camp things seem so much simpler. No TV, phone,etc. Nature is beautiful. The vegetation, animals, birds. Don't have all the materialistic things there. Read, swim. Play with my grandchildren if they are there. Bond with my family. Relax. So much stress is removed. Why can't it be more like this at home.

I have decided that over the winter I am slowly going to declutter my house. I will give to my kids or donate things that I really don't use. I would say I am not a hoarder but there is still too much stuff in my house. When my husband and I were first married we had the necessities and that was it. It certainly has mushroomed.
 I am getting wordy again. When I talk to my kids on the phone I talk a lot. I think it is because I am now by myself. I catch myself doing it and they laugh. They don't mind.

Dragonfly

paulm

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:39 am »
Hello Dragonfly. I agree with your points on camping and I don't know why I can't relax like that when I'm at home either. One thing that is starting to annoy me are the people who insist on leaving their campsites lite up with bright lights all night. There seems to be more and more people doing that. As a night owl I enjoy the darkness and the stars. The raccoons really don't seem to mind the lights. Lights on or off the little bandits will steal you blind if you leave something outside LOL

In regards to de-cluttering your house. When you get done yours will you come and do mine. My wife and I say " ok let's get rid of this junk"  and we do a great deal of moving it about and sorting, but nothing ever seems to actually leave the house LOL.  Take Care. paul m

LuckyLou

• Love is the answer, now what was the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:58:13 am »
HI
I can so relate. I am on a very strict schedule and when it is interrupted in anyway shape or form i get very agitated. In fighting this illness i have learned that the more structured my day is the better i feel and my moods are much more level. If something throws my schedule off  i tend to get anxious and panic. I am a procrastinator so as far as wanting things done now I cant relate lol  I m with Paul once you declutter your house can you do mine? I am moving and really need to clear some stuff out pronto!
Love is the reason!

NeitherHereNorThere

• ...don't let me get me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 12:10:21 pm »
Hi all.  I was just talking about this topic yesterday and laughing at myself.  I have my morning schedule written on a list and keep the list in the bathroom.   This happened years ago; I would take my morning shower and forget to wash my hair.  I wouldn't even notice until I got out and was drying off.  Also; would leave for work and realize that I hadn't brushed my teeth.  Of course, I was devastated at the time but I laugh about it now.  What else can you do, right?

It seems strange to me but I can remember things/tasks for other people but not my own.  I will think of something that I need to get done and then ... it's gone.  Poof.  I forget to do it.  It's like just thinking about getting it done, made it happen and then I'm on to the next thing (that I forget to do).  It's funny but it isn't.  Know what I mean?  I have several "lists" and I'm glad to have them but not glad that I need them.

This girl NEEDS to stick to her schedules.  The tiniest change in my schedule(s) whips me into a whirl.
If you can't handle it when I'm at my worst, then you don't deserve me when I'm at my best.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:33:09 am »
Welcome NeitherHereNotThere,

You are very humerous. I enjoy that.
You make some very good points.
My problem with lists is that I make them and than forget where I put the list.

Dragonfly  :-*

NeitherHereNorThere

• ...don't let me get me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 06:55:13 am »
Hi Dragonfly.  Thank you.  I replied to your post yesterday but it didn't catch.

It went something like this....  It sounds like we need a list of our lists.  I also forget where I park my car and I get lost ALL the time.  My glove compartment is full of driving directions.

I had also mentioned that I saw a rainbow yesterday and that I didn't know if I was supposed to do something about it.  You know, make a wish or buy a lottery ticket....  I just brushed my teeth and read a book.  Rainbows aren't on my list.
If you can't handle it when I'm at my worst, then you don't deserve me when I'm at my best.